Handmade with Purpose:: Give the gift of LIFE!

This April, I am taking part in Handmade with Purpose. Over 20 handmade shops are taking the opportunity to give back to their communities and donating proceeds to charities of their choice, including Autism Speaks, the SHINE Project and Compassion International. I'm exciting to be participating and have created a special painting with proceeds going to a ministry that is very close to my heart. Keep reading to learn more!




My mom has been the executive director at the Bowie Crofton and Severna Park Pregnancy Clinic since 1982. As a little girl, I went to work with my mother on her work days. I spent my Tuesday and Thursday mornings on a couch in a counseling room watching cartoons. As I watched my kids' movies and used the fetal models as dolls, I knew something important went on there, but didn't realize of the impact of the work going on around me. But once I started reaching my elementary, middle school and high school years, I grew to understand the life changing ministry more and even volunteered there for many years. 

Countless women and girls each year are faced with an unplanned pregnancy and have little or no resources to help them make life-changing decisions. The Pregnancy Clinic offers completely free services from pregnancy tests and counseling, LifeSense classes (on subjects from breastfeeding to budgeting), STD testing and counseling to 3D/4D ultrasounds, and post-abortion counseling.

 From their website: 

"The Pregnancy Clinic is a faith-based, medical non-profit serving those facing pregnancy related and sexual health issues by offering physical, emotional and spiritual support, and empowering them to make healthy and life-affirming decisions. Established in 1982, the Pregnancy Clinic has served over 21,000 women and their families with totally free services, empowering thousands of women to choose life instead of abortion. Two offices, Bowie Crofton and Severna Park meet women at their point of need, listening with compassion and offering help, healing and hope. The Severna Park office was opened in what had been a large abortion clinic and is now a life saving- life changing sanctuary.". 

I've painted this "Mama Bird" Cutie on 6x6 canvas especially for Handmade with Purpose.





 Proceeds will go directly towards the Pregnancy Clinic, helping them keep their services free and continue to minister to thousands more men and women.

Wondering how something as little as $20 can help? 

$1.70 pays for one pregnancy test for a girl who may be scared and feeling lost. 
$25 pays for 10 Bibles for clients who need to hear the encouraging words of Jesus. 
$200 pays for one sonogram that can make the difference between life and death for an unborn child. 

Hop over to my shop to purchase "Mama Bird" and give the gift of life. You may also want to visit the Handmade with Purpose blog to find out about the other shops donating to charities of their choice and how you can help. 

Mahalo and have a fabulous weekend! 



Comments

  1. love that painting! my mama works at a crisis pregnancy center too. such wonderful & important work they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is SO cool lindsay!! what an amazing organization!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful painting! And yay for our moms and the work they do. My mom loves working for yours and always raves about the wonderful things your mom has done. Such a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful story, beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great clinic. I don't think anyone hears enough about these types of clinics that help young women when they need it most and often times it's too late for them and they go on thinking there's no one to help them.

    I love that the Severna Park office once was the abortion clinic office. Great way for God to work in the women's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading this post has made my heart happy! When I was in high school I worked with a local pregnancy clinic as a 'Teen Advisor.' I (along with other teenagers) would go into public & private middle & high schools and talk to other students about abstinence, being drug free and alcohol free. This ministry opened my eyes to a part of the world that I never knew about-girls that didn't know about true love. And it gave me the opportunity to put my faith in action. Ever since I have had a special place in my heart for this particular area of ministry. This is such a great cause.

    Bless you, and bless your mama for the work that she does. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been eye-balling your etsy shop for weeks, and today looks like the day to make my first purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely wonderful! So great to know that there are organizations out there helping women choose life!
    Beautiful painting too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I seem to be in the minority here. I, too, had been eyeballing some of your prints, especially after seeing you featured on Oh, Sweet Joy, but I will never, ever knowingly donate my money to a sham of a "crisis center" that encourages woman to turn to faith over logic. I guess Handmade With a Purpose doesn't necessarily mean we all have the same purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Faith over logic... sounds like the way to live, to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Kate 110% - I would never support a cause like this. I would never be in favor of letting children enter this world to un-fit mothers. Just because you live a faith based life doesnt mean you're going to be a good parent... This pregnancy center you preach about is such a sham.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen, Katie! Sorry you don't agree, Kate, but I would definitely urge you to look into it further before you call it a sham. There are many, many women who are NOT Christians that have been helped by that clinic. I think they would disagree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And Anonymous - at least have the decency to put a name behind your beliefs. Talk about a sham!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would guess that a pregnancy clinic is not just trying to give un-fit mothers babies.

    As someone with fertility problems and may ultimately end up adopting one day, I’m thankful for babies that are born to women who know they can’t be a good mother. Those women are giving that baby a chance to be loved by a family who for whatever reason can’t have one on their own. Don’t automatically judge a pregnancy clinic as something promoting teen pregnancy or unfit mothers. I think of it as a place that a scared woman can go and be comforted and to be presented with more options than just terminating.

    And by the way, LOVE the painting! So beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whitney, I'm certainly NOT saying I disagree with adoption or that every woman who can't support her child should abort - in fact, I don't think anything in my comment could be construed as supporting this. Adoption is a blessing! But I certainly don't think carrying a baby to term is the right choice for every pregnant woman, whether she's "unfit" or teen-aged or otherwise. Clinics that claim to be crisis centers too often prey on the vulnerability of women in sensitive situations (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jacob-m-appel/reproductive-fraud-sham-p_b_524467.html). I would always, always rather support a place like Planned Parenthood, which provides pregnant women with a full gamut of options, from adoption to abortion & everything in between. I simply don't trust a pregnancy crisis center run on Jesus principles - and opposition to abortion, which is a vital option - to give pregnant, unsure women the full range of support services they need.

    This is, of course, a touchy subject, & I don't expect everyone to agree with me. That said, I felt it important to point out that not all of Lindsay's readers were on the same page on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post. Pregnancy Centers fill a gap that many communities desperately need.

    And to the person encouraging support for "Planned" Parenthood, I suggest you research Abby Johnson's story. She is a former PP "Clinic" director. Also visit http://www.liveaction.org to view videos of what really goes on in those "clinics." PP is who is preying on vulnerable women.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lindsay has never made any secret of her faith... Kate really shouldn't have been surprised by what she read. And, I'd bet most of her more devoted followers DO share a similar perspective... that's why her blog resonates with over 600 people: they relate and agree!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kate - I am totally ok with having a differing opinion as you. In fact that’s something I love about our country, it’s what make us who we are as Americans! My comment was definitely more directed at the “Anonymous” poster. I respect the fact that you knew you were in the minority on this comment feed, and still left your opinion with a face to it. I will have a friendly debate anytime, with no hard feelings towards you or the topic itself. I however, have a hard time respecting a comment left by someone as Anonymous.

    Oh and well said Katie! We find and follow blogs of people we feel we can relate to. I love Lindsay’s blog for how open and honest she is about her feelings and thoughts. I have no doubt that who she is on this blog is the same as who she is person.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts