Some Spring Cleaning and a DIY Fail

 Up until a few days ago, the vanity drawers in our (only) bathroom looked like this:


Oh dear. Look familiar? I obviously have a drawer problem. 

Here's all of the junk once I cleared out the drawer. 





That's why drawer organizers have become my best friend. 




Chaos has been tamed. 

The drawer organizer has two sections. A large bottom section and smaller top section. I put all of my makeup in the top section for easy access and my everyday items, like bobby pins and hair ties in the exposed bottom section. Underneath the top section is where I put the less frequently used items, like extra contact lenses. 

It's not perfect but it's about 400 times better now. 



I worked on another project this weekend. I've been wanting to do something about this bookshelf in our bedroom. 



I pretty much hate it. It's like a black hole that sucks all the light out of that corner of the room. It's a cheapo bookshelf from Target and it will not be coming with us in the next move. 

I spent two hours putting it together one day while Chris was at work. I stood it up and it resembled the leaning tower of Pisa. Whoops. So, Chris rigged it with a book so that it stands straight. 



 I had a plan to paint the back of the shelf to bring in some light. I used Behr Primer and Paint in One, in a bright white. 

It didn't work. 


[this is after two coats]


I guess paint doesn't stick too well to cheap cardboard backing. So, I'm on to plan B--finding some wrapping paper or contact paper to cover the back. I will be sure to keep you updated on how plan B goes. 

So, now you've seen more of my messy drawers and my DIY failure. Can we still be friends??


Comments

  1. of course we can still be friends... in fact it makes you less intimidating!! glad to know i am not the only one with messy drawers and DIY failures... though my failures far out weigh your successes! can't wait to see how plan B turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now, our closets look like your drawers pre-organizers...sometimes it's just hard to figure out how to use a space! After finding these "perfect orange curtains" for the kids' room, I cut them the wrong way and ended up with two sets of really crummy curtains...measure twice, cut once...should have remembered that one! ;) I wish I could use wrapping paper to fix my curtain problem. Here's to re-do's! Luv ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so need to organize...great post!

    ps- if you saw my house right now..you would not want to be my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts