The Post You've Been Eagerly Awaiting (Or Not)

You may or may not recall this sneak peek of some new living room art I showed you a few weeks ago. I've been waiting about two weeks for one more frame to get in but I decided to show you the artwork anyway. Seriously, the people at Target are probably really tired of me calling to see if they have this frame in stock.

Anyway, I got this idea from this post over at YoungHouse Love. On a recent mood board, they suggested Crate and Barrel's Classical Symmetry prints as artwork.


These prints run about 400 buckaroos for a set of six. A little out of my price range.  I often see things and think "I could make that!" And so, I made my own version for our living room.

I just made three. I used watercolor paper and watercolor paint. I made stencils for the wheat and blue colored patterns and just masking tape and my eyeballs for the green one.

Then I picked up some 16x16 frames from Target. They had mats in them for a few 4x6 photos, so I took the mats out. Like I said, I'm still waiting on the third frame but I didn't want to wait any longer to show you.

So, here are my paintings that have been up for about a year now. I still love them so much and I was kind of sad to take them down, but I'm ready for a change. I'm sure they'll make an appearance in another time and place.

Goodbye sweet palm paintings!



Aaaand here's the new artwork!




Let's give them some context, shall we?







This is also the debut of my new blue pillows from Etsy. They are much brighter than I thought they'd be, but I think they are growing on me. 

And because I'm all about keeping it real--here is a shot of my coffee table 5 minutes before I took the above pictures. 




I spy with my little eye--tax refund checks, library books, a bag of chocolate covered pretzels, two glasses of water (one for painting and one for drinking) and 8 million pieces of paper. 

Um okay, let's focus here. 




So, what do you think? Honestly, I'm still getting used to them, but I thiiiiink I like them! Once I get that final frame in, it won't look so funky. 

Have a great Wednesday!


Comments

  1. I love the concept, and it is pretty awesome that you can create your own version! You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! I actually really like the bright blue pillows they seem very you! The palm prints are fun but I'm with you - change is exciting! -Sarah G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great!! I was admiring the prints from Crate and Barrel the other day when I was looking through the new catalog I got. I love their stuff but my goodness so expensive. I love that you can recreate the concept and you did a wonderful job!!! Also love your pillows and the new artwork ties them in great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I love your blog! It's so fun to look at : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get that "I can totally make this myself" feeling quite often myself, and I'm glad you followed it and made your own cheaper, more meaningful versions of the Crate and Barrel art...love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I love that you just took a picture of how your coffee table looked pre-photo-op!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. SUPER DUPER job girlie!!! I love it!

    And I LOVE the keepin it real shot of the coffee table... pics like that prove we most def could be real life pals. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love your stuff! Everything looks great! Miss you!

    Emily Katherine Designs

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! I have been wanting to do something similar in our rental home....since I can't paint the walls...this would be awesome!

    Your hair is awesome too, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like them so far, but part of the beauty of the originals was the slightly grunge effect around the edges. Makes them look a little more textured, and eliminates the glare of so much whitespace. You could so a simple wash around the edges to get the same effect. Right now, they look a little unfinished, but some great work so far!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts