a pretty washi tape tutorial!


I know I'm not the only one who is slightly obsessed with japanese washi tape these days. The brightly colored, happy paper tape can be used for so many things-- from pretty packaging, tiny bunting flags, to turning plain things beautiful. I recently discovered the beauty of moleskine journals. The name freaks me out and makes me think of dead animals, but I got over that and picked a few up last time I was in town. The blank kraft cover and pure pages call to me. 

Today I'm going to show you how to turn your plain jane journal into a sweet personalized notebook. 




First, getcher stuff together. 

plain notebook  {I got my three-pack of moleskines at Barnes and Noble.} 
washi tape  in a variety of colors/patterns  {I bought some on Etsy, and others in my craft store.}
mod podge
old paintbrush {not a good one!}





One by one, rip off a strip of tape, apply a thin coat of mod podge to the back and apply it to your notebook. Vary the lengths of the tape and feel free to get a little funky with your layering-- you can do stripes, or run the tape in all different directions. 

You could just stick the washi tape on and call it a day, but it tends to not be super-duper sticky, and I want the option of throwing my notebook around a bit. The mod podge makes it a bit more durable. 



Continue ripping, applying a coat of mod podge and sticking until the entire front is covered. I just wrapped longer pieces around the cover like so.



When your cover is er, covered, go ahead and apply a thin coat of mod podge over the whole thing.


Let it dry and start doodling, journaling, and sketching! 


This pretty one is headed off in the mail to a sweet blogging friend. If you are reading this-- it could be coming to youuu! ;) 

What's your favorite way to use that fabulous washi tape? 



lindsay

PS. One year ago today, I opened up the cyber doors of Aisle to Aloha Studio! It's been such an amazing year and I'm excited to celebrate with you later today! Make sure you stop back by for a suh-weet giveaway and big sale celebration! 

Comments

  1. that's really cute! i love the colours :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just got into the patterned duct tape- we will have to get our hands on some of this now! Happy Anniversary on the Business!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo cute!
    Sadly my craft room is totally void of this tape :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesomeness. you are so crafty, friend!! also? congrats on the 1 yr!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of that tape.. I like the effect you got... btw, instead of brushing on the modge on the tape, how about just brushing the modge on the cover?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! And I just posted some washi tape ideas yesterday because I really like it! {great minds think alike? ;)}

    Unfortunately, I've only looked at ideas online...I need to order some tape asap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so pretty! I love it!!! I am such a sucker for anything collage-y looking. I've gotta find some of that washi tape!

    ReplyDelete
  8. and you've successfully got me drooling over washi tape now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must get some of this tape! I love modge poding and journals are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty notebook! Did you find your washi tape at a big craft store? I've seen really cute inspiration pics on Pinterest using it to decorate gift packages. I might have to try it for Christmas this year.

    Happy Anniversary to your Studio!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable! I like to take washi tape and put a strip of it along the edge of kraft brown cardstock and then punch tags out of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this!! So wish our craft stores carried washi tape!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw your tweets about that tape but had no idea it could be that cute! Guess I need to go get some from my craft store soon!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is sooo cute. i can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute post!
    Wishing you many more years of continued success on your amazing shop.
    Aloha,
    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  16. so cute!
    I looked for some of that tape on Etsy but I didn't find nearly the cute colours and patterns you have :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous idea! It turned out soooo cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. the colors are SOO pretty!! i want one!! ;) and congrats on your etsy shop!! i feel so privileged to have contributed to your already success and to be getting a custom order fro yuo too!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was thinking..'its called tape, why are you using that stuff to make it stick' but then you answered and that made me happy.

    I'm sure whoever gets it will love it.

    Emily w/Amazing Grapes

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this idea! Also I really enjoy tutorials because I can't ever figure out on my own how to do that. Keep the tutorials coming! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts