how we ended up eating fast food for valentine's day.

Warning. You're about to read a Valentine's Day recap. But I promise that it's kinda funny. And there's a twist. Er, actually, two twists.

Yesterday was our first Valentine's Day together as a married couple. Chris was deployed for the past two Valentine's Day. In fact, this is our first winter/spring spent together as husband and wife, and we're loving it. Valentine's Day is not normally a day I really hold in high regard. But being that it was our first together and our last as just the two of us, I was excited about it. 

But I didn't mention anything to Chris about doing anything to celebrate. I had a feeling he had something up his sleeve and just let him do his thing. My guy knows that I love surprises. 

The first surprise of the evening was a gorgeous pot of orchids. I'm probably going to kill them, but for now, they make me smile. No roses for this girl, please.



5pm. We set off in the car together, just happy to be together and excited for a dinner out on the town. I was looking pretty cute (I tweeted a picture of my outfit here) and he, as always was dashing. 

5:45pm After horrendous traffic, Chris told me where we were going because he needed help navigating the horrendous traffic. 

6:05pm We arrived at one of our favorite Eurasian tapas restaurants, Horoshi's. I was excited for the bacon wrapped shrimp and hoped they would let us open the bottle of sparkling cider we'd brought in lieu of their extensive wine list. 

I was also just about DYING because I was so hungry and almost demanded (er, requested) some bread for the pregnant lady before we even sat down.

6:10pm We sat down and were greeted with a single sheet of pale pink paper. The menu for the night. Ugh, a fixed menu. Not only that, but none of our favorites were on it and most of the stuff I was not about to eat. AND it cost almost $70 a person. I looked at Chris and said "We can't eat here. Not tonight". 

6:15pm He nodded his head and we stood up and walked out. 

6:30pm Then we drove around for another 20 minutes trying to decide where to eat. We knew every restaurant would be booked though and most had a fixed menu anyway. 

6:31pm  I'm absolutely ravenous now. But we're kind of cracking up at how silly this night is turning out to be.

6:49pm We drive back towards our favorite bbq/southern restaurant that is *not* the sort of place you dress up for. I felt completely silly walking up to the guy in Mardi Gras beads to put in our name. 

7:00pm Chris pulls the car around and tells me he can't find a parking spot. Let's go. 

7:03pm Plan C. Burger King! 

We scarfed down our Burger King at the kitchen table in pj's and then watched some tv curled up on the couch. 

And you know what? It was pretty much the best Valentine's night ever. Though I'm sure it will be a LONG time before Chris tries to plan a surprise date again...


  lindsay

Comments

  1. I don't get fixed menus.... and for a picky eater like me they almost never work. But it sounds like you two did a great job as being spontaneous so kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not get them either, Krysten! I'm picky too and the choices weren't very broad on the one last night! I think the point is so you spend more money ($70/head is way more than we would have spent on TWO of us if we chose from the main menu!)

      Yes, spontaneity is definitely a trait we've developed! Ha!

      Delete
  2. That is totally cute! I LOVE it and it's awesome that you two make the most of it! PJ's eating Burger King is the best kind of Valentine's ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I have to admit, I laughed at the BK part!

    Also, Orchids pretty much thrive on neglect. The number one way people kill them so fast is by watering them too much! Even just plopping it down in the bathroom and "forgetting" about it will help it thrive- It loves the humidity while you shower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a perfect night. :) And there have definitely been times when we planned to eat at Dixie Grill (which I'm 99.9% sure is the bbq restaurant you're referring to) and had to leave because there was not a parking spot to be had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Dixie Grill. :) Usually we find parking or at least have the patience to wait. Last night, we were way too hungry to wait and there were at least 10 other cards circling around waiting for a spot too!

      Delete
    2. We've had to leave Dixie Grill too for the same reason.

      Delete
  5. Haha, this was so cute! Glad it was a good day for you two, despite everything. Loved your outfit too, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like it was more fun this way anyway! beautiful flowers too! fixed menus are lame.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, this is exactly why we've eaten pizza for Valentine's Day for the last 10 years!!! Our first V-day out together was just like your experience - a fixed menu for $75! I'm glad it turned out happy in the end!

    Megan @ Lemon Tree Studio

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! I love this story!! Hey, Burger King is YUM so I'd be happy with that! ;) Great post!

    www.glamorsham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWWW! i am seriously melting over here...how sweet of Chris. ya'll are just so cute together i can only imagine you shooting each other looks across the table whilst eating BK. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That actually sounds like a pretty great night! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. At least it was memorable!
    sounds like a fun night!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! Those flowers are gorgeous! So very lovely!

    That is such a fun and sweet story! =)
    Even though it didn't work out as you had planned, I'm glad that you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL...yeah, we almost never go out to Valentines Day. After almost 12 years of marriage, I've decided my FAVE Valentines Day "dates" have been at home. Like the time we put the kids to bed, had a little wine and brie and watched Pride&Prejudice. :)

    Glad it ended up being a good Valentines for you! You two are just so CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ahh!! That sounds like me whenever I try to plan something!! Every little thing that can go wrong does!! But Burger King is always delicious and watching tv in your pjs sounds delightful!! PS I LOVE your outfit!!! Where did you get your shoes + vest??? You are always SO cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is too funny! And its awesome that you had such a good attitude about it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bahahaha this sounds pretty much just like our night. Orchids & all! Except, we ended up at McDonalds. And we drove to two different cities, ha! And couldn't get in anywhere... damn reservations! Ha. And we drove around for over 2 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds like a good Valentines Day to me! Honestly, some of the best dates Flyboy and I have had normally include takeout, our pajamas and a good movie :-) At least you guys went out and gave it a go! I feel so bad because Flyboy took the time to make a reservation (at 4:30pm for my fickle All-Day Sickness First Trimester Tummy) and by the time I got home from errands I felt so awful, there was no way we were going to make it out. So he tucked me in on the couch, got me an extra icy ginger ale and a PBJ sandwich and we watched Top Gear. Best Valentines, ever :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lindsay!

    I was wondering...What program or set-up are you using for the comments section on here?
    I really like the look and ability to reply that it gives. If you can share that would be great!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey friend! It's Blogger's new format for threaded comments. You can change it by going in to your commenting tab and changing it to embedded. Here's an article with more details.

      http://buzz.blogger.com/2012/01/engage-with-your-readers-through.html?z

      I love being able to reply in the comments. I feel like there's a lot more interaction in my comments lately! :)

      Delete
  19. Awww thats cute :) Glad it ended up being an awesome night! You looked so cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok when you said 'two twists', I swear you were going to announce twins!! Hahaha! Sounds like a perfect Valentines to me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is hilarious as our Valentines Day turned out much the same! BTW my husband is former Army and was deployed when our second baby was born!

    Anyway, we planned to just have dessert and coffee while the kids were taken care of, but were met with a FLAT tire when we got to the fancy restaurant! So he had to change it in the cold, in his nice suit. After that we were pretty much not festive and it was nearly time to get the kids, so we went home.

    The next night, a sweet neighbor offered to look after them so we could go out. Nope, his online seminar (he's a techie) went on forEVER, so we bagged that, too. We ended up putting the kiddos to bed, ate chocolate covered strawberries I had made for all of us and watched Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers on our bedroom TV.

    You know what? It was the best VDay in my memory! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. OKAY. I recently found your blog and it is SO LOVELY! Your layout is so cute too! I love the soft colors. :)

    And hey.. at least with BK, you can have it your way! ;)

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Rachel! Nice to meet you! Thanks girl! :) And yes, BK all the way!

      Delete
  23. As long as you are with the person you love and not at each other's throats, I'd say that was a wonderful Vday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. you two are soooo cute. =) And you look adorable, friend. you, Chris, and baby are OFTEN in my prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awww friend, sounds better than our jet lagged valentines day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds like your hubs needs to do more research! Oh well, it sounds like it was a pretty good night and you have a story for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, I think he did a great job. He arranged perfect reservations and it's not his fault they didn't tell him they had a fixed menu. Pretty sure it was my favorite Valentine's date ever. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts