So You Wanna Make Pad Thai?

Happy Friday, my friends! Woohoo! You ready for the weekend? I have a feeling you need an incredibly awesome recipe for the weekend, right? How about a pad thai recipe straight from Thailand?

Oh yeah, that's right. Today I'm sharing the pad thai recipe from the cooking class that Chris and I took in Thailand.

Here are the super yummy ingredients. Most of these are pretty common, but a few things you might need to look for in a specialty grocery store. I'm not a chef, and this is not a recipe I made up-- I'm just reiterating what we did, so I don't really know any good substitutes for the weird stuff. If you do, shout it out in the comments!

If you are ever in Pattaya, Thailand, you must go to the Happy Home Thai Cooking School. Sheri will take great care of you!

This recipe was so easy, simple and quick! We made it in about five minutes, literally, guys. After trying many times to make pad thai in our own kitchen, we were so excited to finally have made something that didn't make us quickly gulp down a glass of water! Delicious and simple-- what more could you ask for? I'm excited to try out hand at this recipe with Chris here at home once he gets home SOON! ;)

Sheri's Pad Thai!

150 grams rice noodles
100 grams chicken, shrimp, or fried tofu
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup chopped green onion
4 tablespoons palm sugar
6 tablespoons fish sauce (or lightly-salted soy sauce)
2 eggs
1 cup bean sprouts or cabbage
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 tablespoons chopped shallots
1 cup sliced fried tofu
4 tablespoons tamarind paste
2 tablespoons preserved turnip
Fresh cabbage, bean sprout, green onion, cilantro and lime wedges for garnish

Makes 4 servings



*Kelly kindly told me that I had my scallions and shallots mixed up when I labeled the picture before. Scallions are the green thingies, shallots are the small red onions. This is why I reiterate that I'm not a chef, just repeating our recipe. ;) 

1. Soak the noodles in lukewarm water for 10-15 minutes or until soft. 
2. Heat the vegetable oil over low heat and then fry the garlic and shallot until fragrant. 
3. Add the chicken (or tofu or shrimp) and stir until cooked. 
4. Break the eggs into the pan/wok/skillet and mix with your chicken/tofu/shrimp. 
5. Add noodles, fish sauce, palm sugar, tamarind paste, preserved turnip. Stir until noodles are tender. 
6. Add the bean sprouts and green onions while stirring constantly. 
7. Place on a pretty plate and top with garnish. Top with ground roasted peanuts and ground dried chilies.






Enjoy! :) 

I'd love to know if you try this recipe! 

I have some new paintings in the shop-- they are the first of several paintings I have in mind, inspired by Thailand! 

These Bloom paintings are inspired by a pattern on our placemat that fascinated me during our cooking class. I love finding inspiration in the everyday and was excited to translate that placemat pattern into these vibrant pieces for my shop. 

Hope you love them! 





Have a beautiful weekend! 




Comments

  1. hey you read my mind today!!! I am planning on making pad thai this weekend, so this is great for me!

    btw love the paintings!

    Yvonne@simplyvonne.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried pad thai for the first time ever last weekend...I'm not a very adventurous eater, but I actually really liked it! I'll have to save this recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1- yummmy!
    2- GASP those pictures are beautiful!!
    3- your pic for comments, questions etc is super cute, well your super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love me some Pad Thai! What a great recipe, thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh yes, I'll be trying that recipe! Does the fish sauce have a real "fishy" taste? It looks a lot different than soy though and I"m not sure I would want to substitute. Just curious about it!

    LOVE the new paintings! Those flowers are *adorable* -- definitely something I would hang on my wall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks yummy! May have to try it!

    Love the new paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great, I will have to try!

    I think you mean scallions, not shallots though. Shallots are small red onions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. super impressed! -- with the cooking and the art!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum yum yum! Love thai food!

    I also LOVE your bloom in blush pink painting :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my gosh, this is making me soooo hungry!! pad thai is one of my favorite dishes ever.. it's been a long time since i've made it. the recipe i use is pretty much identical to this. problem :: i have never been able to find tamarind paste. and it's just not the same without it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I've ever had pad thai, might have to be adventurous and taste it.

    Really like your new paintings, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. get in my belleh!! NOWAH! :D
    love the paintings as well, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i just tweeted that i was craving pad thai!! ahhah!! mmm now i realllllly want some!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay, this looks fantastic! And I just happen to have some tamarind paste in my fridge (check indian spice shops for it if you can't find it!), so I think it might be on this week's menu . . . thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. http://simplyvonne.blogspot.com/2011/06/food-for-my-hubbys-soul-pad-thai.html

    Made some and link your blog also :0)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts