how to wear your dresses as skirts and tops.


I'm excited to show you how to wear your dresses as skirts and tops today! I know most of us are savvy spenders and can always use a little stretching in our wardrobes. Wearing dresses in a new and fun way has helped me to see so many more possibilities in my closet and makes getting dressed in the morning a happy challenge when I ask myself "How can I wear this other than the obvious way?"

Wearing a dress as a skirt (or a top!) doesn't take any magical powers. It's probably a lot simpler than you are thinking. It just takes a little finagling and choosing the right pieces that work together. Here are my top three tips for making the most of your wardrobe in this way. 


{1} layer it up.  Depending on the style of the articles of clothing you want to marry, you can sometimes layer your pieces. For my outfit above, I wore the dress like normal and layered the blouse on top. Since my blouse is suuuper thin, I just folded the bottom  of the blouse up and covered that up with the tightly-cinched wide belt. 

You can also turn dresses into tops by layering. For the outfit below, I simply wore my mustard yellow skirt over my patterned dress. Since the dress is shorter than the skirt (and it's not bulky), the look is pretty darn seamless. 



{2} fold it down. Sometimes the top you want to wear doesn't work when layered over the top of your dress. For example, maybe you want to wear a spaghetti top tank over a halter top. In that case, I usually fold the top of the dress down and slip it under the dress. This works best if the top of your dress is somewhat thin fabric. 

For the outfit below, the top portion of my dress is hiding under the skirt portion. Since the skirt is loose and the top of the dress is not bulky, you can't see the extra fabric underneath. 



 {3} belt it around.  Most of the time when I use dresses as skirts and tops, I use a wide belt to cover up the weird stuff going on in the middle.  A wide and tight belt can also do wonder for actually holding up your skirt when you are using tip #2. I love buying cute and inexpensive belts at places like Forever21, TJ Maxx, and Marshall's.

For this last outfit, I used the fold-down method. Again, the top portion of my dress is hiding under the skirt portion. This skirt is full and lined anyway, so the extra fabric doesn't add much to the already poofy skirt.


Pretty simple, right? The keys are knowing which pieces will work (ie. bulky fabrics probably won't work) and creating the illusion with a wide belt. Have you tried this before? What are other ways that you make the most out of your wardrobe? 

Hope this helps! I'd love to know if you try any of these tips! 


lindsay



Comments

  1. Thanks for the great tips! I might try this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mahalo, Lindsay! I've been hoping you'd do a tutorial like this. Can't wait to not be pregnant anymore so I can try this out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soo awesome.. I have never really thought about doing this!! Thanks for the tippers!!

    xoxo

    Pieces of Luv

    ReplyDelete
  4. uh that's genius. great pics. you are just adorable as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea! Can't wait to try it out!
    xo,
    Dawn
    www.hellodearie.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. so great! I love your style in general & will definitely be trying this

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so awesome! your outfits are great and i would have never thought that they were dresses!thanks for your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done! I can't wait to try this out with some of my pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to wear dresses as tops and dresses as skirts - definitely makes things go farther in my wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that's a fun idea! I just don't think I'd like the double layering/bunching. Is the bunching uncomfy?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a great post! Especially for girls like me that don't have a good on eye fashion sense!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great idea, what a way to get the most out of clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this! Great post...going to pin to Pinterest :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those combinations look great! I would always worry that I would look to bulky layered like that but, I can't tell that you are layered in the slightest. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. fun post! i just realized that you did that to your dresses...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. that is so incredibly adorable that i could just die. i do this alot with my outfits! it's so cool because it has everyone saying "wow, that's cute! where'd you get it?" and i tell them i've had it for years.
    with a mom and dad that hate shopping {very much so, as a matter of fact} improvising is good. also grandma's are good, too. because they like to shop. okay, that was random.
    great post, love your blog! :))
    -jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. So stinkin' simple, yet I probably would have never thought of it. Definitely gonna try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. can i just say i'm in love with this idea! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this idea! I really need to give it more of a go and thrift some belts too to make the style work easier for me! thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you posted this...I've been wondering! I feel inspired to try it out with some new dresses I recently added to the wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmmkay. You are adorable! I love how you remixed!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i totally need to try this sometime!! i've been spending WAY too much money on... everything lately!!! it will be interesting to try this with a baby bump in the mix as well, but i'm up for the challenge!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. this is awesome! i've tried this once on my own, but now i am inspired to do it again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your Awesome! I love your style! So colorful....thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Super cute ideas! I am going to go through my wardrobe and make new outfits!
    Xo Chloe.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have a picky teener. She's more into the elegant look than the flashy bejeweled one. It was great that it came with straps. It was easy to put in a few things from Hobby Lobby to customize it, and it worked wonderfully.
    wedding dresses used

    ReplyDelete
  27. I sometimes wear skirts over playsuits

    ReplyDelete
  28. I truly value this superb post that you have accommodated us. I guarantee this would be helpful for the greater part of the general population. long hairstyles for women

    ReplyDelete
  29. دليل شركات نقل العفش بالقويعية

    نقل عفش بوادى الدواسر

    شركة نقل عفش بحوطة بنى تميم

    افضل شركة نقل اثاث بعفيف

    شركات نقل العفش بالغاط

    دليل شركات نقل العفش بالسليل

    نقل عفش بضرما

    شركة نقل عفش بالمزاحمية

    افضل شركة نقل اثاث بثادق

    شركات نقل العفش بجدة
    دليل شركات نقل العفش بالرياض
    نقل عفش بالدمام
    شركة نقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة
    افضل شركة نقل اثاث بابها
    شركات نقل العفش بنجران
    دليل شركات نقل العفش ببيشة
    نقل عفش بمحايل عسير
    شركة نقل عفش بمكة
    افضل شركة نقل اثاث بمكة المكرمة
    شركات نقل العفش بالطائف
    دليل شركات نقل العفش بالطائف
    نقل عفش بالقنفذة

    شركة نقل عفش بالقنفذة

    افضل شركة نقل اثاث بالليث

    شركات نقل العفش بالليث

    نقل عفش برابغ

    نقل عفش بالجموم

    شركة نقل عفش بالكامل

    افضل شركة نقل اثاث بخليص

    شركة نقل عفش برابغ

    افضل شركة نقل اثاث برنية

    شركات نقل العفش برنية

    دليل شركات نقل العفش باضم

    نقل عفش بالافلاج

    شركة نقل عفش بالجموم

    شركات نقل العفش بالجموم

    دليل شركات نقل العفش بالكامل

    نقل عفش بالكامل

    شركة نقل عفش بخليص

    افضل شركة نقل اثاث بحوطة بنى تميم

    شركات نقل العفش بالعرضيات

    دليل شركات نقل العفش بعفيف

    نقل عفش بميسان

    شركة نقل عفش بميسان

    افضل شركة نقل اثاث بالمدينة المنورة

    شركات نقل العفش بالمدينة المنورة

    افضل شركة نقل اثاث بميسان

    شركات نقل العفش بمكة المكرمة

    شركات نقل العفش بابها

    دليل شركات نقل العفش بابها

    نقل عفش بخميس مشيط

    ReplyDelete
  30. يقدم موقع أسواق ديلي توصيات التداول واخبار التداول بالعملات التي تعتبر أهم الأمور التي يحتاجها المتداول المبتدئ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts