prettifying the guest room.


As  Si's arrival approaches (soon, right?? Hopefully!), I've been a bit of a mad woman about getting our house in order. First, because I know that we won't have the time or desire to do house projects once our baby boy is here. And also, we're expecting lots of friends and family coming to meet Silas and stay with us.

One of my big priorities was getting the guest room/studio squared away. It had become a bit of a storage unit for everything we didn't have room for, but we've slowly been purging and organizing. We bought a futon (long enough for my tall father-in-law to sleep on!), hung my studio shelves above my sawhorse table, and arranged the room in the comfiest arrangement possible. 

And then I set to work prettifying it. :) 

I bought this dresser on Craigslist in Hawaii and have always had dreams of painting it, but no time for it, yet. So, in the meantime, the round wooden knobs got a little makeover. I painted them in alternating floral and chevron patterns with my acrylic paints. They all got a coat of clear gloss enamel spray to protect the designs. I love how they brighten up the dark wood dresser. 


I also added some scrapbook paper to the bottom of this little tray. It used to have some country-esque design, but I painted it white. I thought it needed some color and the scrapbook paper did just the trick! 

The mirror, a $5 clearance steal from Target, also got a coat of "Cozumel" blue paint (from Behr). I don't even remember what color it originally was, but I must have painted it a dark shade of brown before the blue brightened it up! 


Have you done any fun projects around the house lately? 


   
  lindsay

Comments

  1. can i come over and stay there?!?! i will bring Austin and him and Silas can have a playdate!!! i love the details on the knobs!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks fantastic, pretty mama! :) Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tray! It looks great, and the scrapbook paper is such a clever idea!

    My fiance and I have been working on a gallery wall the past two weeks, and I'm so excited that it's almost done! It was so fun to work on! I also just got done painting an old shelf a new color, trying to match the theme of our new apartment! :)

    Lauren
    http://laurensweetnothings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a darling room! Your designs on the dresser knobs are so cute. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great, Lindsay!

    Did you make that wreath yourself?
    It is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did make the wreath! :) It's a foam wreath, wrapped in yarn and then I made the little banner/bunting with string and scrap paper. :)

      Delete
    2. It's great! From looking at the pictures I guessed the foam and yarn part. Now I hope to make my own version sometime. =)

      Thanks for sharing the supplies you used!

      Delete
  6. This is so adorable and inviting! The painted knobs on the dresser captured my heart! Your guests will feel right at home. You are seriously a creative genius!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i want to join sandy and come too! (wit magnolia!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would love to be a guest in that room! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooooooo i'd love to stay there and cuddle with little si when he arrives :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful!!!

    Can I ask a question...how long did it take you to wrap your wreath with yarn? I started in on one and just couldn't get the hang of it! (I know that sounds soooo lame, but it was like I was missing a step or something?)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kristen! It took a LONG time to wrap that darn thing. I did it in several sessions while sitting in front of the tv. You're probably not missing a step, just keep going. It's kind of awkward and takes forever!

      Delete
  11. Lindsay, where did you get that Aloha sign, or did you paint it yourself? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trina! It's from the Swap Meet on Oahu. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! That sign is such a lovely reminder of the island spirit. We were in Oahu last September and unfortunately didn't have time to check out the marketplace, but we really wanted to! Next time... (we have a whole list of "next times!")

      Delete
  12. I love it!! Those dresser knobs look beautiful!! You are such a talented artist Lindsay!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it, looks so good and those knobs are super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please come over and help me decorate. I want to shop wherever you shop.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute! I've done a couple little makeovers like that recently too. It's so nice to see a big change after doing only a couple small projects!

    ReplyDelete
  16. so fun & cute! love those little knobs. the pop of color is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The second most popular sport on Cozumel is snorkeling.Beginning snorkelers Mr Sanchos Cozumel need not swim far distances or embark on boat trips to take advantage of the reefs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. perform regular maintenance towards excavator will be created to straight down your own device's not able to be able to enhance your existing life of your machine;reduce process downtime;improve perform performance AND ALSO along working costs. rubber tracks

    ReplyDelete
  19. That has a Titan Journey membership rights you might be given usage of our own exceptional traveling discounts with airfare, hotels, in addition to auto leases. An average of keeping our own associates approximately 50% when compared to massive traveling consolidators.discount travel

    ReplyDelete
  20. Certainly for the vacation or maybe unique trip you need an experience that is certainly special to your account, brimming with particular person activities in addition to upon which you'll want to eat and drink away for that remainder you will ever have. To ensure that rules away the particular set up in addition to commonplace, whether or not they will possess the lure of great high end. If you decide to will not are interested the trip over shelf wherever will you start?travel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts