our eclectic gallery wall.

When I started putting together the gallery wall in our front entry, I had planned on spray painting all the black frames white. But after having the mishmash of frames on the wall for the past two weeks, the eclectic look has grown on me. And if I'm being honest with myself, I'm not going to get around to spray painting those babies. Standing out in the heat to paint frames is pretty low on my priority list at this point.

You saw a sneak peek of our gallery wall in my 37 week bump post, but I want to share with you the different pieces of art that are on the wall and what they mean to us. Because that's always my favorite part of seeing people's gallery walls. :)

Some of the pieces are super sentimental to us-- things collected from our travels, special moments captured. And other things are just pretty to look at, like fabric scraps and colorful paper.




I planned out the gallery wall by tracing each frame and art piece onto packing paper, then I used washi tape to tape the templates in the configuration that I wanted. I didn't really plan out it out super carefully-- just kept in mind what was in each frame and threw them together. You can find many templates for gallery wall configuration on the web, but I didn't follow any of those rules. Just did what felt right.

Then I slowly started adding in my frames and other doodads. 


... and eventually ended up with this final result! 




above:: 

photo booth strips from a friend's wedding

Language of Love print from SugarFresh-- a gift from Chris on Valentine's Day while he was deployed

a sketch I did in college of the two of us

a painting from Japan that we bought when I visited Chris on his first deployment

above::

2 Corinthians 12:9 print from Naptime Diaries

kraft "w" from PaperSource that I painted and covered in scrapbook paper

a few of the pieces of paper from the "100 things I love about you" jar I made for Chris 100 days away from our wedding.

a photo of my grandparents when they were newlyweds. Such a precious photo to me, especially after my Pappap died in March '11. 


above:: 

lattice watercolor I did a few years ago

homecoming photos from Chris' first deployment

film photos from my La Sardina camera



above:: 

wall vase from Old New Again (with fresh cut flowers) 

a photo of my bloggy besties from Creative Estates

a photo of our wedding party

ceramic cross from when I lived in Mexico

Heather Brown print (my very favorite Hawaii artist)



So, there it is. I love how they all sort of "go" together without being matchy at all. Do you err on the matchy-matchy side, or are you an eclectic fan, like me?


  lindsay




Comments

  1. love this!!! thanks for breaking it down and sharing what each means to you ... thats the best part of a collage of memories like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am working on an eclectic gallery wall. I love yours... especially the pieces with special meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am planing an eclectic gallery wall, too. but mine is definitely noot as good as your is!!!
    Love it. so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i totally love this! i have been collecting prints and photos to do something like this in my studio next year when I move. love yours!! turned out fabulous! i love the pic where chris' feet are up on the couch while you work on the wall lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where are you moving next year? Hopefully you'll still be in Boston when we get there!

      Hhaha, I know-- I didn't feel like asking him to move- he looked so comfy. ;)

      Delete
  5. Love it! I can't wait to have a home home where I can do this sort of soulful display of love, family, friends and art!

    Melissa, The 25th Hour

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this! I was going to do a similar thing in our apartment and thought of spraying all the frames too because of the OH SO WHITE walls...but I kinda like the hodge podge of frames. I think they look really great. And what a great idea to trace them out and tape up first. Definitely going to start scouring thrift stores for some frames to work on this look! Great job!

    Looks like you have some great lighting going on in that apartment! LUCKY YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! I am def. With you on the eclectic look! My walls kinda have the same feel- and I love having things up that are sentimental, it really makes it feel like home. Great job! And great idea on tracing them and taping them up first! I'm rearranging the art on my walls and that would make it so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soooo cute. I want to do the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's awesome!! thank you for sharing all the details of it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love, love, love, this! My gallery wall keeps growing as we take more pictures and share more memories together. I love the idea of the mason jar with the fresh flower added in there to give it life. So cute!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! I love the composition...the wall vase is one of my favorite parts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay next time I rework my gallery wall I am TOTALLY doing the paper tracing idea. You're so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! I'm hoping to get a moment this weekend to sketch out/plan out my wall... there's not enough space on my shelves anymore - so this non-DIY girlee is getting her first taste of it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, your house is absolutely gorgeous. I love the way it's laid out, and that watercolor is beautiful :)

    xo, Jessica @ Diary of a Beautiful Soul

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a bit of eclecticism. It's so hard to choose sometimes that going eclectic works better most times for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow i love it girl!! and i see my picture up there too!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that the gallery is horizontal instead of vertical. It flows nicely on the wall and allows the viewer to see everything clearly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts