Si's birth story, part two



Read part one of our birth story here. 

At 7am on Friday morning, I had endured 19 hours of natural labor. We had been using some parts of the Bradley Method to help me relax my body to get through contractions and I was honestly surprised at how helpful it was. The contractions had been incredibly painful for about 4 hours and I had already gone through a serious self-doubt stage at around 3am. were certain that the cervical check at 7am was going to reveal that I was at least 7 or 8 cm dilated.

I was 3 cm dilated.

3 stinkin' centimeters.

I knew I had hit my limit and just couldn't continue without some pain medication, so I decided that it was time to ask for an epidural. Going into my labor, my goal was simply to see how far my body could take me without drugs. I was totally open to an epidural if I felt like I really needed it-- and at this point, I was happy to get those drugs.

I received the epidural at 8:20am and breathed a sigh of relief when the warm numbness spread through my legs. I could still feel the pressure of the contractions, but the pain was taken away. At this point, Chris and I both attempted to get some shut-eye. We were physically and emotionally exhausted from the night.



At 11am, I was checked again and told that I had only dilated to 4cm. Because of my slow progression, we were advised to start Pitocin, which we felt comfortable with at this point, since we'd given my body plenty of time to do its own thing.

Around 2:30 that afternoon, I began to feel my epidural wear off. First it felt like more pressure, and slowly I started to feel painful contractions. I was given a "top-off" which also wore off quickly.

At this point, I might as well tell you about our awful day shift nurse. Debra was cold and unresponsive to my questions and concerns and is probably the reason I unwillingly spent a tortuous hour without any pain meds at this point.

When she finally got the hint that the epidural was not working and I was in serious pain, I was given yet another "top-off" which wore off within an hour. More pain and pressure.

She decided to check me again and estimated that I was at 7cm. The doctor came in, did his own check and he said, "Not 7, but actually 6." More disappointing news.

My heart dropped. I wasn't progressing nearly as fast as I wanted and was feeling absolutely done.

Around this time, my mom walked into the hospital room. I burst into tears when I saw her and she did the same. I needed my mama. Chris was thankful to see her too-- he was utterly worn out from doing such a great job coaching me through the night and day.

I was told that my epidural had slipped and wasn't working properly (duh!), so they gave me a second one. Yep, they had to re-do the whole procedure and I had to sit still through several awful contractions as they did it.

With a second epidural in, I was checked again and our doc delivered the most disheartening news yet.

I had gone backwards from 6cm dilated to 5.

My doctor gently relayed the news that it was time for a C-section. My body was not doing the job to get my baby out and my water had broken almost 30 hours before.

I bawled. After 19 hours of natural labor, puking horribly through the night, an acid wretched throat from the vomit, two separate epidurals and pitocin-- this was how my labor was going to end?

I had never had any sort of surgical procedure, so along with all the emotions I felt after going through all of that, I was also scared of being cut open. But it was inevitable. I was comforted by the fact that I'd soon see my precious baby boy.

The doctor graciously said that both Chris and my mom could go in with me for the C-section.



They wheeled me off as my mom and Chris got dressed in scrubs and less than 20 minutes later, Silas Kai arrived.



I first glimpsed my Silas as he was lifted over the curtain and taken to the corner of the room to be cleaned, weighed and measured. I craned my neck to get a glimpse of him and saw his little feet kicking away and heard his beautiful cries.

We couldn't believe it when we were told he weighed in at 9lbs 4oz. He had a head full of wispy, dark hair and his right ear was folded over a bit. He had my looks and Chris' feet. He was perfect in every way.



We're absolutely in love with this baby boy and in the end, I love thinking back on our day and a half spent in that hospital as we waited for his arrival.

 I'm proud of the hard work I did. It was so difficult and so worth it. I'm grateful that we were able to just roll with the events that came at us and I got to encounter almost every labor scenario.

I'm proud of Chris and the tough job he had of being by my side for almost every moment.

I'm grateful that my mom was able to help me through the last few hours of my labor and be there for her 11th grandchild's birth.

Most of all, I'm thankful for the beautiful, healthy son resting in my lap right now and the many blessings we've experienced through him already.

God is good.






Comments

  1. Wow lady- I didn't look nearly that good for my c-section- and I was expecting it! Beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing story...and a cute boy to boot! Congrats to you and your hubby! What a little blessing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the story congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job and are incredibly brave to face all those possible birth scenarios. So glad he's here and everyone is well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My eyes are so blurry with tears that it's hard for me to read what you wrote! haha I'm so glad you shared your story. I'm sure it's so therapeutic for you to just get it out and be able to look back at it one day. I bet Silas is going to LOVE hearing about it when he's older. ;) Love you, mama. This has been an awesome adventure to watch unfold from the beginning. God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited for you that he's happy and healthy. What a blessing. Sorry for the pain you endured.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, choke me up. I don't care how a birth ends up (natural, medicated, section, whatever!) as long as there is new life it's reason to celebrate. Beautiful birth story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are SOOO strong! He is such a lucky little boy to have such great parents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My brother and I both refused to come out naturally and my mom was forced into two C-sections. Sounds like Silas was a little stubborn that day as well. Thank you for sharing this journey with us. It was hard to read and I know even harder to live, but it is so inspiring! Sometimes our bodies just can't do it on their own and now someone else can read this and learn that lesson. Glad he arrived safely and that you had your mom and Chris to be by your side and welcome him into the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! It is so great that you were able to go with the flow and not get hung up emotionally! That can be so hard to do! He is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh man you're right that would be heartbreaking. but the end result is so worth it. congrats again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! Birth stories always make me want to do it again, no matter how the baby comes. There's nothing like it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a story! Thanks for sharing...so glad that your beautiful baby boy is here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love reading birth stories because they always end with such joy. I had a c-section with my daughter too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. He's so beautiful! I have a friend who had a C-section for the same reason -- backwards dilation! It's crazy but it happens. I had a C-section with my first but my second was a VBAC. E-mail me if you ever want to talk about C-section recovery, VBAC, etc. And CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. omg...I had no idea you could actually go backwards in dilation?! how awful and I'm so sorry about you having to deal with a bad nurse. Your strength and courage are admirable and I'm praying that you and Si settle into a routine soon. prayers and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing birth story! You are so strong for going through all that before getting the epidural. So glad in the end you had a beautiful, healthy baby! :)

    Hope you check out my giveaway! :)

    Lauren
    http://laurensweetnothings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. This brought tears to my eyes. So so so happy for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  19. that close-up of Si's hand around the finger (yours? Chris's?) is SO incredibly precious. thank you for sharing your story with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awww such a beautiful birth story...thanks for sharing it and letting us in. He's beyond precious in every way! xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful story!!! He is so precious! Such a wonderful blessing from God!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for sharing both part 1 and part 2 of your story! Adam and I are expecting our first child, a boy, in December and as someone who isn't quite there yet, it's nice to know of another family's experience; especially since you experienced every avenue of the labor process! I'm glad you didn't tie yourself down to one plan, my husband and I are constantly reminded that what God wants is gonna happen and so long as we end up with a healthy little boy, we are perfectly content with whatever He has planned! So excited and happy for your family! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. you are a trooper, my friend. also, I have your's and Silas's "birthday" box ready to mail. It will be on its way to you very soon! So happy for you and Chris to have your little baby!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a wonderful story and pictures! You're definitely a tough girl for making it through so much. You two really do make great parents to that sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your story brought tears to my eyes...such a difficult but worthwhile journey. :) So glad that all turned out OK and you have that healthy little baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful story! Had me in tears! It's amazing how we go through all of this, and the results are so worth it! Beautiful baby!
    COngrats!
    Heidi
    www.mustachmama.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Tears and some more tears. Love the picture of your mom kissing Si, that is precious. And of course, the bottom picture of you and baby boy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just totally bawled through that, girl. So much love!!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations! Enjoy your little miracle.
    I have just discovered your blog and look forward to reading often.
    Take care and enjoy.
    Vicki
    www.shoppegirls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. amazing! joanna-dan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. just caught up on your blog, friend - and oh my goodness, YES! God is so good! loved every bit of this!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just read your birth story -- that last picture is amazing in particular -- and I totally teared up thinking what you went through. I had a hard, long labor too so I can really empathize. I love how you mentioned his ear was folded over; it reminded my that my daughter had a squished up ear when she was born, which I had almost forgotten. :) So glad your son arrived safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's amazing how similar your birthstory is to mine. It's like I'm reading my own events. That all to say, I feel your pain and joy! I just found out I'm pregnant with my second baby and am so inspired to hear that you're going with a midwife to aim for a VBAC. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet myself but feel encouraged to try again. Thank you so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts