Si's birth story:: part one

From about the 6th month of my pregnancy, I had decided not to share my birth story on the blog. I wanted to keep it as something that was special for me and Chris and honestly wasn't sure how personal I wanted to get on here. I didn't want to think about getting the perfect photos for a blog post or be concerned beforehand how I would write things out.

But, my labor was harder and different than anything I anticipated and made me so glad that I went into it without a birth plan. Even more so now, I'm a believer in being flexible about your birth expectations!  I think our story is worth sharing and so, here ya go.


After posting my 40 week update on Thursday, I was feeling rather impatient for Si to get here. Around 1:30pm, I was laying on our bed watching HGTV Design Star episodes when I heard a *pop-pop-pop* in my guts. I realized quite quickly that my water was breaking and rushed to the bathroom, with what seemed like gallons pouring from me. Think peeing your pants times about 20. So weird.

I got so excited. It was happening! We were going to meet our son this weekend!

Called my mama. She started looking for a flight down as soon as possible.

Called the dive school where Chris works and the "receptionist" guy panicked when I told him he needed to find Chris because my water broke. I told him it wasn't an emergency, but his reaction was pretty funny.

Called my OB office and they said I needed to come in right away.

Chris called me while running to the car. He got home and I took a shower, blowdried my hair and made sure I had everything packed that I wanted. Chris was a bit anxious to get going, but I knew we had time and didn't want to rush off.

We stopped at Chickfila for some sustenance before heading into the hospital.

When we arrived at the hospital, I was put in a small room where they monitored his heartbeat and my contractions for a little while. I was told then that the doctor would probably want to put me on Pitocin right away, since my contractions weren't getting stronger or more consistent. After getting moved to a labor and delivery room, she came in and gave us her reasoning. Though neither of us really felt it was necessary, it's hard to go against a doctor's advice, so we agreed.



But after talking it over and getting a pep talk from my mom, we decided to tell our nurse that we'd rather wait and see what my body did over the next few hours instead of starting Pitocin.

Our nurse during the night shift was a saint. Kevin was so supportive of our decision to try out natural and him being pumped about it made us pumped about it. He brought Chris his own freshly ground coffee through the night and bantered with us just enough to keep things light. The 19 (ish-- depends when you start counting "labor") hours that I went natural were made so much easier and better because of him.

So I labored through the night with only an IV for fluids, but no drugs. Because my water had broken, my temperature was checked regularly to watch for a fever. Thankfully it stayed down.

Natural labor was hard. So hard. I vomited about 12 times through the night. We watched diving and track Olympic events during the breaks between contractions and once they started to get really tough, I even slept in between contractions, which I never thought was actually possible.



Chris was an amazing coach through the whole night. I know it was excruciating for him to watch me in that much pain, but he did an amazing job of helping me relax through the contractions and encouraging me on.

After many many hours of hard natural labor, we were sure that I would have progressed to 7, maybe 8 cm through the night. I was at my threshold for pain and hoping I'd be able to start pushing soon. When the night shift ended at 7am, and a new nurse came on duty, she checked me and I was at 3cm.

Time for the epidural.


(Read part two of Si's birth story here)



Comments

  1. I'm proud of you for going natural for so long. I hopped on that epidural as soon as I got there, but only because I had watched my sister labor and saw what a difference the epidural made for her. Can't wait to read the rest...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this with us! It's always best to just be flexible and see what God has in store!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being only 18 and with no kids, I always find birth stories to be fascinating, and I loved this one! Though I could have done without the cliffhanger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness. Only 3cm after all that time with your water already broken?
    So sorry, girl! I was in labor for a long time, but my water didn't break until 8.5 cm, which made it move much quicker after that, and much easier to go natural!
    You're awesome for even going drug free that long!
    I really am such a sucker for birth stories. Excited to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kudos to you for going natural and enduring it that long! can't wait to read the rest!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Thank you for sharing! I love birth stories...I think we all do. I can't wait to hear the rest of it.
    I pray you are feeling well and having a wonderful time in-between the crazy times of newborn life : ) Take care of yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow...how frustrating that must have been to hear that in the morning!! i can't wait to read the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. a 3??? OH MY WORD! Girl! Bless you! Can't wait to read the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. The way you write that really makes it suspensful. Haha. I can't believe how calm you were after you water broke - showering, doing your hair, etc? Kudos to you for going natural that long. Can't wait to read the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm so excited to hear the rest! i got an epidural pretty quickly, i have no tolerance for pain :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, so I just have to say - I am loving that you stopped at ChickFilA on the way - that made me smile big time! And so glad that you had a great nurse in the early stages, that was so supportive of doing natural. Isn't it so interesting how God reminds us to be flexible during birth? Can't wait for the 2nd part!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so strong! Can't wait to read the rest

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE birth stories, thank you for changing your mind and sharing anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing such a personal moment with us. I love reading birth stories (even though I'm not pregnant yet). I feel like by reading other's stories, we can prepare ourselves and realize every birth is beautiful, natural or not.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahh cliff hanger!!! haha. I cannot wait to read the rest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good call on the CFA and no birth plan. It seems pretty standard that hospitals immediately throw pitocin at you if your water breaks on its own. I think it's awesome you decided against it to see what your body could do. You just reminded me that I had an amazing male nurse during my labor as well! I was kinda bummed that he wasn't my postpartum nurse, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was asked at about 10 weeks if I was going to want an epidural. I've never done this before, how the heck am I doused to know? Ha ha, I'm just gonna go in and see how much my body can do. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love, love, love birth stories! I had my baby boy a day before you on august 9th. Here is his birth story : http://thelarsonlingo.blogspot.com/2012/08/lukes-birth-story.html
    Can't wait to read the rest of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice work on the Chick-fil-a! And extra nice work on saying no to the pitocin and standing up for how you really felt. I hope, hope, hope, so much your healing okay, that little Si is doing great and your adjustment to motherhood is going well!! Whew!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks for deciding to share!!!

    PART TWO PART TWO!!!!!!!

    (love blog birth stories)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're killin me smalls!!! Must read part 2 stat!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow this is like waiting till the next LOST episode! :) So glad you're sharing. And you have done such an inspiring job throughout the pregnancy! Thanks for letting people know about the awesomeness in your life.
    -A Sister in Christ-

    ReplyDelete
  24. I labored all night long like you and thought FOR SURE I had progressed! I was only about a 2 the next morning...the epi was soon behind as well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These stories and comments just cement my feelings of never, ever wanting to get pregnant. I realize it's natural and all, but holy smokes. Ugh, no thanks! I'm so looking forward to having tubes cut and tied in January.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts