three reasons to try the knotted tee trend.


maxi dress:: {forever 21}
watch:: {c/o feral watches}
flats:: {c/o blowfish shoes}
earrings:: {lisa leonard}




I dunno what's up with the knotted tee trend resurfacing, but does anyone else feel like they need some scrunchies on their wrists and a side ponytail? Regardless of my childhood flashbacks, I love that this trend has made a comeback because my tees are seeing a lot more action lately. A few of you have asked for a post on the knotted tee. I promise you, it's not rocket science and you can pull it off too. Below are three reasons you should try the knotted tee trend.

Give a baggy tee new life. Some of my favorite graphic tees are ones that I picked up in Hawaii. They mean a lot to me and hold some sweet memories but I honestly feel like a bit of a slob when I just toss a t-shirt on over denim shorts. Great for spending the day chasing Silas around, but not so cute for a day in town or headed to church. A baggy tee (even your hubby's!) can be made to look chic and fitted with a simple knot. Try wearing it with high waisted jeans or shorts! Suddenly your old tee is ready for church, a day out sight-seeing, or even a date night.

Re-imagine dresses (and rompers and jumpsuits too!). You know I'm all about re-imagining your wardrobe. And I know that you have a dress that's sitting in your closet long forgotten. Toss a knotted tee over it and suddenly you have brand new outfit options. The dress I'm wearing above has a neckline that is a bit X-rated, so the knotted tee is its saving grace. Dresses work great for the knotted trend because you don't have to constantly tug at your shirt or worry that it's suddenly become a cropped top with your bare belly saying hello to the world. I think this would also be a great way to re-imagine jumpers and rompers, but I haven't been brave enough to jump on that bandwagon yet.

Disguise that pooch. I've still got some leftover baby belly going on and a tee flat against my tummy just doesn't do it for me these days. But add in a knot and some strategic placement and all the sudden, the ruching and knotting distract from the pudge. (Until I pig out at the church potluck, like I did this weekend. Mmmm, brownies.) You can make your shirt as fitted or loose as you feel comfortable.

Just a few more points--

Be careful with the tees you choose to knot-- this will most likely stretch them out at least a little bit. That's why I like to stick with older tees!

Button down shirts are also great for this! Leave the bottom buttons undone and knot the hanging ends together.

Check out how my buddy, Mo, used the knotted tee to accentuate her adorable baby bump! 

Here's a great video tutorial on how to actually tie a tee knot-- I love the hair tie tip!

So there ya go. Just a few reasons that the knotted tee gets a big thumbs up from me!




Comments

  1. Thanks for the tutorial, I'll have to play around with my tees!


    P.S. I'm giving away 5 sponsor spots this week on my blog and I'd love for you to come and enter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how this looks! BUT---I tried it the other day and my husband was like 'what is UP with your outfit?!!?!' UGH! SO i changed! He's not up on this trend yet! HA!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, boys. You'll just have to try it for a girls' night out or something when he won't see it anyway. ;)

      Delete
  3. I may try this... not sure how it will work out with my baby bump though!
    Also, I have a dress from the surf company that I may just need to wear now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out how Moriah styled her knotted tee over the baby bump. There's a link above and I think it looks great! It really accentuates the bump!

      Delete
  4. Great idea! Next month we're hosting a Skirtember month (check it out on my blog!) and this will help with new outfit ideas!

    Chantal
    www.scatteredseashells.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize the knotted tee is a thing lately...thanks for cluing me in! I love it and just went through a bunch of tees thinking I should wear them more while I'm still on maternity leave :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't quite found the perfect outfit to knot my shirts with but I just know I will! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the look! I might have to try it soon. And I have no idea what you are talking about baby belly, it's no where to be found!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're too kind. That's the magic of the knotted tee. ;)

      Delete
  8. I'm feeling all inspired. I need to jazz up my back-to-school looks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can pull anything off, lets be honest. Your hair is looking really cute these days too, high five all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggy! I've been curling it more often and have been loving it.

      Delete
  10. I definitely used this look just yesterday! Though for none of the reasons listed above - just because I needed a shorter shirt with my flowy maxi and all my tees are super long (which I normally love, but not over maxis).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts