I painted our IKEA bed frame and lived to blog about it.

Before Chris and I got married and moved to Hawaii, we bought all of our furniture (I mean ALL of our furniture) at IKEA. I loved it for a little while, and then grew tired of living in an IKEA showroom. Don't get me wrong- I'm a huge IKEA fan and still go ga-ga when I get a chance to stroll through. But I was dying to mix in some furniture with more character.

We're in a position now where we can start replacing some of our 'newlywed' furniture with 'grown-up' furniture, but for some pieces, it doesn't make sense to replace them. Our bed frame is in perfect condition and while I might not choose the style now, it still works really well for us. (Actually, it's not even functional, since we had to buy a separate stand alone split-boxspring when our original one wouldn't fit up our stairs. So, the IKEA bed frame is just fer looks.)

You may think I'm crazy for having the notion to give a fresh coat of color to our black HEMNES bed frame, but thankfully, Chris was all for it. Surprisingly, he gives the thumbs up on most of my silly ideas. He's pretty awesome like that.

Our bed frame is now a gorgeous shade of yellow-- Twenty Carat by Behr, if you're wondering-- and it took me a few weeks before I quit squealing every time I walked into our bedroom. The cheery color gives life to the room-- especially when we haven't had a chance to hang any art or buy fresh throw pillows yet. 











If you are looking for a detailed step-by-step on painting furniture, John and Sherry over at Young House Love are great experts at that. Get a full tutorial on general furniture painting here. I'll just share some tips below on specific things that helped me get a beautiful glossy and even finish on the bedframe. 

1. Gripper is heaven- sent. This is a big one, friends.  Glidden's Gripper is a heavy-duty latex primer that will make your paint stick to anything-- even slippery IKEA surfaces. This stuff is awesome. I did two coats, but wish I had done more-- just for the color coverage. It took me about six coats of yellow and if I had done one more of primer, I bet it would have covered the black better.  I didn't even sand before priming-- just brushed it on and let it dry. 

2. Thin, even coats are your friend. It's really easy to get overzealous and glob it on. Towards the end, (after 6 coats!) I was getting really anxious to finish up and there are a few drips here and there where I used way too much paint on my brush. It's tempting to think that more paint = less coats, but your paint job will just end up looking sloppy and may not dry properly if the paint is too thick. 

3. Go cheap-- foam brushes all the way! I have done a few projects in the past with fancy $12 brushes-- humungo mistake. You can spend $5 and get a whole bag of foam brushes in all different sizes. They work beautifully for getting a smooth coat and they rinse out so easily. I used a small 1" brush for the small edges and the rails on the headboard. For the rest of the bed, I used 3-4" brushes. 

4. Finish with a little gloss. After using an Interior Satin Enamel paint for my main coats, I put on two coats of Rust-oleum's Polyurethane in gloss finish to seal it and add a little shine. I'm so impressed with how it has held up to Silas banging his toys on the headboard and climbing all over it. I haven't seen a scratch yet. It also didn't dry sticky or tacky at all and the poly didn't affect the color. The finish is exactly what I hoped for!

5. Don't rush it. It's tempting to rush through it, but take your time between coats and before using your furniture. If the paint hasn't had time to cure and you set a glass down on it or it gets bumped, you may have a permanent dent. I spent about a week on the frame, spacing out the coats over a few days.



I'm thrilled with how the bed frame turned out and so happy I took the chance when it could have been a disaster. Beware dressers and chairs-- I'm coming for you next. 

Comments

  1. I love this! It really brightens up your room! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. good job! I think it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the yellow! I have never repainted any of my wood furniture, but am tempted to update all of my bedroom set with new knobs I found on clearance at Anthropologie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Anthro knobs. I have a few dressers that need a few of those myself.

      Delete
  4. I have that exact bed, and I'm going to paint mine now! I've been dying to but was terrified. Thank you for the advice!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! Yay for Gripper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GORGEOUS!U have the patience of a saint... Looks very professional.. btw is it Silas proof? (teething proof that is, :-) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't really chew on furniture right now. Mostly just his rubber duckies' heads. ;) I'm sure it would chip off he really started gnawing, but hopefully we won't find out!

      Delete
  7. Looks fabulous.
    I have some ideas for idea now. Had no idea about gripper...lovin' the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my golly goodness, your bed looks AMAZING. This marigold color is absolutely perfect! :) My bedroom (still living with the parents!) consisted of mostlky ikea furniture too until we finally got some decent furniture last year that I can take with me when I move out :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. you did a great job, love the pop of yellow!! I love Ikea too. We did the same thing when we first got married too. A lot of our stuff is from Ikea. I really like it too, but I know what you're saying about living in a showroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks AMAZING. Makes me want to go buy an IKEA frame and do this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks so wonderful!! Way to go, girl! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of Gripper before! That sounds amazing. I would love to repaint some furniture, but I hate the hassle and mess of sanding. Thanks so much for these tips! Your bed looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, check it out! I was pretty amazed by it. I bought a gallon, so I think I'll be putting it to good use on other pieces soon.

      Delete
  13. GORgeous!! I am so bad at these kind of projects because I always want to rush to the finished product when I get something in my brain to start. :/ YOU my friend, are amazing!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I do that too. I'm the opposite of a perfectionist, so sometimes I'm like, "I don't care what it looks like, let's just get it done!!!" So many projects around the house these day!

      Delete
  14. What a beautiful color! I love it, now my minding is whirring with possibilities for whenever we get around to getting an actual bed frame.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE this bright + cheerful color!! Brilliant tips!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish I saw this post before my weekend trip to Ikea. I saw a "slippery" desk there in the AS IS department that I could have painted a vibrant teal!

    Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderfull contents in your blog...Ohhh I really like it.Double TV Bed in Brown

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your bed is beautiful! I'm currently refinishing a bed for my son and need a good protective layer over it. Did you use a spray polyurethane or on you brush on? Thanks for your idea and help!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a beautiful project, and in such a happy color! I had never heard of the Gripper Stuff, but it seems like a great idea!

    Though I am honestly distracted by your beside table. Where did you find that? I love the little trim around the top, and the fact that I'm guessing it folds up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is gorgeous - and I love the color you chose. I am tempted to totally copy cat you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looking from the outside. Deep into the inside. At home.Hope you have a wonderful week. I will, it's the only time we get to have this week. So enjoy it..Find Pins about murphy bunk ikea on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Its looks amazing. I saw this you have painted it good. It looks like new. Thanks for sharing these tips regarding painting. This will help for those people who paint their furniture at home. Every body can paint the furniture like beds, tables,black chairs etc.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice work. It looks very clean and modern but could go with a lot of different themes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Did you use a water or oil based polyurethane? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi. Lovely job. I would like to paint my ikea bed too. Could you let me know how much paint did you use? And are six coats necessary for he colour to show well?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Okay, so we have the same bed and have since we got married. We've moved twice and it's gotten a little dinged up and could definitely use a makeover but, being from IKEA and therefore kind of cheap, out squeaks like crazy every time one of us so much as breathes. We're about ready to replace it, but after reading what you wrote I'm wondering how you're using the frame. Is it just a mattress on a box spring on the got floor? And after moving a couple times with it did you find it started to squeak?

    I'd love to just give it some paint and update it but daaang the squeaking makes me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello,

    I really so impressed. We have also provide some trendy collections of Bedroom furniture in perth . Bedroom furniture gives them the much-needed advantage of staying easy as well as comfortable. You should enjoy the best facilities of best infrastructure that will help them grow properly.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, this article is really very good, so that I can't say how happy feeling. The article make every detail of the story depicts streaming with the best, and every movement of the characters all write so lifelike, let me see the waves excited. street photography camera lens

    ReplyDelete
  30. Visco elastic foam, commonly called memory foam, molds to the shape of your body and relieves pressure. Many people find these more comfortable that the alternatives, but they do have a tendency to become very warm. These mattresses may be unsafe for young children, since there is some risk of suffocation.here

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The key, 100% climb and astounding substance is a legitimate expert that drives the online way in the essentially sorting out World Wide Web. Truly, a page without substance can't make due in the kingdom of online business part paying little respect to obviously enchanting structure. Dealing with a dynamic substance based web portion is not a key undertaking and no one can deny this. In any case, PSD to WordPress by mydesigntowp.com change is consider the most attempted and great 'ol formed reaction for creation an exceedingly repair substance composed webpage based online segment.

    PSD to Wordpress Conversion
    PDF to Wordpress Conversion
    PNG to Wordpress Conversion
    JPG to Wordpress Conversion

    ReplyDelete
  37. Zone Téléchargement,Télécharger sur Zone Téléchargement ou Regardez en Streaming Gratuit des Films, Séries, Qualité HD en Français ou en Vost. zone de téléchargement

    ReplyDelete
  38. Zone Téléchargement,Télécharger sur zone de téléchargement ou Regardez en Streaming Gratuit des Films, Séries, Qualité HD en Français ou en Vost.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for sharing the Best Bed Frames. If you want to Best Bed Frame for Sexually Active Couples in 2021, then visit Bed Frame Guide. Their mattress is terrible for getting on your hands and knees in any position. You suffocate in the mattress. It's killing my wrists. This is a huge source of distraction. I'd rather have passionate sex in all positions on a spring mattress than be restricted on a Tempur-pedic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts