You Won't Recognize My Bulk Trash Bench.

This weekend was one of the more productive weekends of the year. I've got a ton of projects to share with you guys this week. First up, my bulk trash bench. 

We finally got around to refinishing that bench that Chris and I picked up on bulk trash day a few months ago. It was in pretty bad condition and in desperate need of a makeover. I actually stained it last month and we finished the rest of it this weekend. 


Before sanding and staining.





After sanding and staining. It was my first staining experience and it's not a perfect finish but I'm pleased with how it turned out.





Aah, much better with two coats of stain, right? But it's not a very useful bench with no supports. Half of the springs that worked as supports were missing and the rest were rusty. Chris had the idea to use nylon webbing.

[Do you like our tiki man? I like to think he scares centipedes away from the house.]



Apparently the guy at Home Depot doesn't know what nylon webbing is and the only comparable material we could find was this 27' tow line for trucks. It was on sale and was the right material so we got it. 



We stapled sections of the webbing across the bench, making sure to pull each section taut. 




And Chris used a blowtorch to melt the ends so they wouldn't fray. :)






Looks lovely doesn't it? Chris kept asking if I cared that it was neon yellow but I assured him that it would be fine once we got the cushion on.




So we figured out the support problem. The cushion was another issue. I envisioned a natural linen colored cushion on the bench and I wasn't finding anything of the sort in our budget or length we needed. While shopping at Home Depot, we spotted three of these (ugly) cushions on sale and came up with a plan to create the cushion that was in my head.  

We used about two yards of a linen colored muslin, stapled it to the bench in front of the yellow straps and then wrapped it around cushions and tucked in the corners. 







I love love looove how it turned out! 

I moved the swirly thingie from the dining area. I like it out here! 





With such an inviting seating area, we're already spending more time out here. Now I'm on the hunt for an outdoor area rug to cover up that cement floor. I'm thinking orange!

Whatcha think??

**Linked up to the Beneath My Heart Linky Party!**


 

Comments

  1. Lindsay, you are so talented! I'm actually inheriting some pieces from Ryan's grandmother (I have been hitting everyone up trying to see what they have so we don't have to buy all of our furniture new.). Anyway, how hard is staining and refurbishing? I have to do a table and chairs and a dresser...Any tips would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous makeover for that bench!!! You are so creative!! I think that looks like one heck of a cozy outdoor space. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE it Lindsay! Awesome job, I'd sit out there all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Wow I love it! I especially love that at the start of the post I was thinking "How is she going to make that bench look pretty?" but then at the end it looks fabulous! What a great eye you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this looks awesome! You inspire me. =) It is fun watching your house come together. I really like how creatively you find solutions.

    -Sarah G

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous!!! Makes me want to curl up and read a book and enjoy the breeze!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great! How do you keep the linen from slipping?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this bench looks fabulous! Bet your neighbors are wishing you would give it back now. I have been reading your blog for a while now and just started "following" it. Love following all your projects like this. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks awesome! I'm inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great! With the pillows it looks so inviting. I think an orange rug would look fantastic. Ballard has some reasonably priced outdoor rugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the new designs! Reading about the refurbished DIY bench, I was wondering about the overall cost... Charlie and I will be doing some DIY stuff soon=save $ while adding our own personal touches to our home. Can you include a cost update like mastercard does? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Got here from Better After. Amazing find and redo, girl! Way to go both of you, very resourceful on the materials :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it, Love it, Love it! Especially because you dragged it home and gave it a new life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful makeover! Please come by and link up to my repurpose/redo party Vintage Suitcase Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I 'inherited' one of these, as it came with my husband. Many times I've tried to drag it to the street, but he wouldn't hear of it. So it's been tucked away in one of the guest rooms. This summer, I found a large piece of used foam and have hopes of redoing it. Just showed your post to my hub and we're both hopeful that this sore spot in our home will be moved to a sunnier location soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I came over from Better After. Your bench looks great! I'm impressed with the transformation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great work!! I love that you shopped at Curby's!! (Hopping from Beneath my Heart's party)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Visiting from Beneath My Heart! What a great transformation!!! Great idea to make it more secure with the keep out tow line.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Visiting from Beneath My Heart! Great work with the bench. It is a mesterpiece...and looks spectacular. :)

    Cheers~
    e

    ReplyDelete
  20. sew awesome:) visiting from crafterminds:)
    gina

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing on Crafterminds today. I loves me some Roadkill Rescue for sure. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts