Our Kitchen.

A few months ago I promised you a look at more spaces in our house. I showed you the living room (at one point in it's constantly changing state) and that's it. I guess I got stuck with the "It's not quite how I want it." bug. But I'm realizing that things will probably never be quite how I want them to be in our house. I mean, we live in a white renter's box with purply gray carpet and textured walls. So sometimes I get insecure about putting my space out there. (By the way, comments really help that insecurity thang. :)

But, the truth is, I love our little home. AND I know that the homes that inspire me most are not always the perfectly styled rooms but the ones where it's apparent that real people live there and are working with what they've got (ie. ugly cabinets, and bland countertops)

Anyway, today I wanted to show you our kitchen. 
The color palette was taken from these paisley mugs. I don't really use red anywhere else in the house so I thought it'd be fun to use it in the kitchen (our dishes are rusty red and yellow). I also threw in a little of every other color. Cuz I'm like that.


I brought some punch into the bland kitchen with our dishtowels (IKEA and someplace else...) and that rug is from Pier One and is oh so comfy under the feet while doing dishes. 



Here's my little cookbook nook. The binder on the right has plastic sleeves to hold recipes I've torn out of magazines (mostly Rachael Ray). Truth be told, I am stuck in a rut with trying new recipes but have been working on getting out of that rut. We made Chicken Piccata a few nights ago and it was delish. 




Just bought these glass canisters from IKEA when we were there a few weeks ago. The biggest one holds Chris' favorite cereal (Honey Bunches of Oats!) and the rest hold flour, sugar, brown sugar and bread crumbs. I have notions of making labels for these bad boys but who knows if I'll get around to it.

I also bought those napkins at IKEA. That punch of green + graphic image = love. 



This mail/key holder is from Ross. It was white with country apples on it. It immediately got a coat of yellow paint (Sunburst by Behr, left over from my entryway bench.) It's usually overflowing with mail, spilling onto the counter. 



Oh, and I have to show you our drinking glasses. They were a wedding present from my friend Michelle and are a sweet reminder of our home state. 



So, that's about it. 

Don't forget to enter the TidePools jewelry giveaway. Today is the LAST day! Check in tomorrow to see if you won!


Comments

  1. We have the same pattern on our dishes! Well, some of them. We have the paisley ones, and we got them in all the other color choices (brown, green, blue, white, red, yellow, and the paisley) I grew up with my mom's fiestaware collection of every color, so when I got married I knew for sure I'd never want dishes that were all one color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting a feeling of deejay vu after reading your post. First, my mom has that exact paisley dish set. Did you get it from BB&B?
    http://www.casasugar.com/Moms-Thanksgiving-Table-6481893

    Also, my bf shares the same love for Honey Bunches of Oats!And my kitchen canisters hold HBofOats, flour, sugar, & brown sugar. Though no bread crumbs for me. But what a fantastic 4th filler.
    http://casadecrystal.blogspot.com/2010/07/before-after-kitchen-edition.html

    Kudos to you for showing more rooms of your home. It's so bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen is way better than ours! It's tiny, and blah! We did a color scheme of red, orange and yellow... I just think it's fiesty and fun! We'd never be able to have those colors anywhere else!

    I love the canisters! I have been looking for months to get some that I really like, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always feel so ashamed of my house when you talk about how yours isn't finished yet. We're just renting right now with another couple so there is no decoration or organization or anything! lol

    Wanna come style my home for me?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a sweet kitchen. I love the canisters {I just bought the same ones recently on an IKEA trip} and I love, love, love the paisley mugs.

    And, p.s. I'm saving up the big bucks now for my ticket to bee-yoo-tiful Hawaii--think of all the thrifting and fun we'd have! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, I am so digging your clear storage containers so much!! Also love your yellow mail box. Your kitchen is so cozy and cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing to be ashamed of at all. And I laugh too because I'm going for the red and yellow color scheme as well...and have those same yellow dishtowels. And of course, with those two colors I'm so tempted to put every other color in there too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that Better Homes cookbook! It has the best simple, classic recipes....especially love the honey mustard dressing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'm in LOVE with the crab glasses!! I saw Phillip's crab meat in the commissary today and got a big ol' grin on my face when I read the "Distributed in Baltimore, MD" on the back. I'd kill for some Rusty Scupper cream of crab right now. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm amazed at how wonderful and inspiring you make every room in your house look! I love the kitchen, it's...you!! Oh, and those napkins, love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Honey Bunches of Oats, for the win! (It's my favorite too!)

    How About Orange has a great diy/download for canister decals - http://howaboutorange.blogspot.com/2010/08/free-canister-decals.html. The green kinda matches those awesome napkins :)

    Anyway, your kitchen is beautiful. I love how you make everything so comfortable!

    Keep sharing your rooms, it's inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, just found your blog!

    I'm an Air Force wife, so I know all about making it work, when you live in less than pleasing quarters...haha!

    I have that dish set, with tomato plates and bowls! Great minds, eh?

    LOVE what you've done to your place so far, keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts