from our recipe box: {make your own sushi rolls!}



After leaving Hawaii, there was a void in our tummies where inexpensive delicious sushi used to be. We decided to start making it ourselves and will never turn back. The tutorial/recipes below explain how we make our sushi rolls. There's a lot that goes into this, so bear with me as I take you through each step! You may need to read through this one or two times. It took us a while to get all the steps and ingredients down.

Usually we make a whole evening out of it. So invite over some buddies, pour some hot sake, grab your chopsticks and have at it! 

The sushi we make may or may not be authentic, but it sure is delicious. Below you'll see everything we use to make our rolls. We'll go over how to make panko shrimp, spicy (raw) ahi, and spicy mayo sauce. Feel free to add in your own fillings and toppings! 


Sushi prep

Prepare the sushi rice. The most time consuming part of this is making the sushi rice. We use these instructions. You'll need to plan ahead and start this process about 2 hours ahead of when you'll start rolling. 1 cup is enough for about 3 sushi rolls, so change the proportions of the rice vinegar, water, sugar and salt on the instructions as needed. 

Panko shrimp. To make the crispy shrimp, we fry them using panko breading. Heat oil (we use peanut oil and a tiny bit of sesame oil) over medium heat. Beat one egg, dip shrimp in the egg first, then coat with the breading. Place shrimp in hot oil for about 1-2 minutes, flipping halfway through. Place on a paper towel and set aside. 

Slice your veggies. Cut thin slices of cucumbers and avocados. We use about 1/2 a cucumber and 1/2 an avocado for 3 rolls. 

Spicy mayo (my favorite part!). You'll need mayo, sesame oil and sriracha sauce. Mix 3 tablespoons of mayo, 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil and 1 teaspoon of sriracha sauce (more if you like it spicier). You'll find that the sesame oil is what really makes this taste authentic. So delish. Set aside for later. 

Spicy ahi. We buy the freshest raw tuna steaks possible, from our local seafood market. We've never had an issue with upset tummies. If you're not sure about raw fish, you can forgo it. We use about 1/4 lb ahi steak. Using a sharp filet knife, chop ahi into tiny cubes. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/2 tablespoon of sesame oil, and 1 tablespoon of sriracha sauce. Mix and set aside. 

Supplies need for rolling: Seaweed paper (called nori), bamboo mat, sharp knife, a mix of 1 oz rice vinegar + 1/3 cup water (for rinsing knife while cutting sushi), damp paper towel (for making inside out rolls), sheet of cling wrap cellophane (for shaping ahi rolls). 

Okay, whew! Now you are ready to start rolling! We'll go over how to make inside out rolls-- those are my favorite. 

Let's roll.


Place your nori on the bamboo mat, with the rough side facing up. Using a rice paddle (or any old spoon), flatten out the rice and spread it to the edges. Place a damp paper towel over the rice and grabbing the edges of the paper towel and rice covered nori, flip it over. The paper towel is now on the bottom, with the nori on top. 



Line up your shrimp, cucumbers, and avocado along the edge of the nori sheet. You can add in some spicy mayo and spicy ahi if you'd like as well. 

To begin rolling, pick up the edge of the bamboo mat, paper towel and nori closest to you. Fold the edge in as close to your fillings as possible. Roll it as tightly as you can, peeling back the paper towel and bamboo mat as you go. When you get to the end, you can roll it back and forth with your fingers to tighten up the roll. 

If you want to top your sushi with spicy ahi, follow these steps below. 


Top roll with spicy ahi. Place cellophane over sushi and form it with a slight dome. Using your sharp knife, cut through the cellophane and the roll. Do not saw, but try to cut in one motion. Between slices, coat the blade with the rice vinegar/water mix to keep it slick. After slicing, remove the cellophane and if you want, top the roll with sesame seeds. 

OR 

Skip the ahi and cellophane part and just slice that bad boy. Make sure your pieces are bite-sized. 

Enjoy with soy sauce, wasabi and ginger, if desired and don't be shy about stuffing your mouth with those delicious bites of sushi-goodness. 




Now, if you want to make regular rolls (not inside-out rolls, but the ones with the seaweed on the outside), skip the flipping part above and place your fillings on the rice. You can roll it the same way (you won't need the paper towel for this) and cut it with your sharp knife coated with the rice vinegar/water mixture. 


From there, I like to drizzle spicy mayo (my very favorite part) on top. 


So there ya go. Not simple at all, but totally scrumptious and honestly, more fun than just ordering in a restaurant! 

Let me know if you have any questions! I tried to be as thorough as possible! Happy sushi eating! 


Comments

  1. Mmh, these look delicious! And it looks so easy when you make them! I've never tried making sushi on my own, I will definitely give it a try!
    Yummy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that looks so good. We love sushi, but the price makes it difficult to go out as much as we would like. This is such a great way to really have fun and make a nice date night:)
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boyfriend and I just started making sushi at home, and I've been wanting to make the inside out rolls. Thanks for the tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited to give this a try. Thank you for posting your recipe and techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are great directions! i've been craving some sushi something fierce. i used to work close to this fabulous place, but then changed jobs, so no close places anymore. i wish i could get my husband on board with sushi because this sounds like a fun night. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how awesome is this!?!?!!! totally love it. thank you soooo much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! This is the best homemade sushi tutorial I've seen! We love sushi, but Idaho isn't exactly an ocean front, and it gets super pricey. Thanks for posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried before but it was a major fail. Now I just throw all the ingredients in a bowl, grab a fork, and enjoy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look so good. i've only had sushi once, but this sounds like such a fun date night in with friends idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to try these recipes! We've never made the inside-out rolls before and have never used Panko shrimp, even though that's my FAVORITE kind to order at restaurants. Thanks so much for taking the time to put your versions up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I liked sushi, it always looks fun, but the textures always freak me out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Homemade family sushi rolls are my fave. It's definitely a great family dinner, too! So many opportunities to cook together, talk together, and eat together. When we have sushi as a family, we just toast the nori (over the stove) and then we cut the nori into quarters and make our own personal sushi. It's actually a lot of fun and cuts down on the rolling process.

    And sriracha + mayo is a family staple at my house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing this! I have the mat & cute dish to make it at home but I've never actually tried it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man this looks SOOO good! I've always wanted to try making my own sushi rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look so legit! I'm super impressed. You make it look like I could actually do it! I've always been afraid to try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. MUST TRY THIS!!! Love sushi so, so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Linsday!! I just wanted to stop by and say thank you for your blog! I have been reading your posts for a while and really enjoy them. Whenever I'm down, I go to your blog and your sunny smile and warm words encourage me! I don't know if you will read this comment, but I wanted you to know that you are an amazing person and you have really touched me! Thanks so much! God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a awesome post!!! My daughter's favorite food is sushi and I've always wanted to make it with her. You've inspired me to give it a try! Thank you.
    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love love love sushi! It looks like so much fun to make! I can't wait to try it when my hubby gets home. We are totally going to make a night of it and become at home sushi pros like you guys! Thanks for this tutorial, Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
  20. YUM! I love, love me some sushi! We try and make it at home as much as possible...mostly because half the sushi restaurants we find here in Germany aren't worth a darn. Or they're so expensive that one roll is about all our wallets can tolerate. Friggin' euro. I'm excited to try that spicy mayo...always looking for new sauce toppings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. AHHHH! I need that in my stomach right this second. what do you use for spicy mayo?

    ReplyDelete
  22. stumbled on your blog & this looks delish! ahhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I make sushi all the time, but love your variations. And the pictures...will have to try your way. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful post! We tried to make our own sushi but it was nowhere near as good looking as yours.

    http://beachforbaby.com/some-fish-with-your-rice-making-sushi/879

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts