our diy mid-century coffee table (and living room progress!)


A few weekends ago, Chris and I made a coffee table. And it was one of the easiest projects we've ever done together. I'd been looking for the perfect coffee table for awhile and had just about given up on finding an attractive and affordable one. And then, while trolling the internets one day, I came across A Pair of Pear's DIYmid-century table tutorial and that was that. 

We loved her tutorial and followed it almost exactly to a T. We did use a router saw to round the edges a bit so Silas' eyes don't get poked out. I love the character that it gave to the edges. 

I also used american walnut stain instead of dark walnut like the tutorial suggests and it goes perfectly with our existing furniture (not seen in these pictures). I did three coats of stain and sanded in between the coats of poly, which resulted in a really smooth finish. 

We've been propping our feet up on it for about a week now and I am still in love. Thanks to Jake and Jamie for such a great how-to! 

Oh, and that's obviously not where that aloe plant lives on the daily. I thought it looked cute there, but Grabby McGrabster thought it might taste good. I got a cute little tin pot for it yesterday at IKEA, but didn't care enough to re-take the pictures. 

Also, we just got that flokati rug (as in rolled it out from the box right before these pictures) and I'm still trying to decide. I know it's going to be a bit high maintenance, but I'm loving the lushness of it --- for now! 

Comments

  1. The coffee table looks great! I think the rug might feel more fitting and cozy when the Boston winter hits! :) hopefully outside will be as white and fluffy, rather than grey and slushy!

    My sister is a manager at the Georgetown Cupcake on Newbury, if you need a cupcake fix! (I wrote/most posted photos about my spring break in Boston here: http://ftdofsmcp.blogspot.com/search/label/Boston)I love Boston and I'm excited to come return for a few days in August. I hope you're enjoying settling in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband calls our son Grabby McGrabby-paws! They just can't resist anything within (or sometimes not) their reach can they?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks perfect!! and I ADORE the rug girl. so perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm a sucker for wooden and vintage style furniture. love your coffee table. it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all of it! We have a huge flokati rug in our bedroom. loved it at first. still on the fence. it's been six months. almost ready to sell it. the shedding drives me batty. It's like I have two dogs and it is too big to launder in a machine which is how I have read most people wash theirs. Ours is 9 x 12. And way too big to take outside to shake. good news though...i read somewhere else that leaving it out in the snow to be cleaned works too. we don't have snow....but you will. Crazy sounding but someone's mom swears by it. good luck with your decision. your coffee table is gorgeous. nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That coffee table turned out great!
    Even before I saw him grabbing the plant, I knew it'd happen! Children are so grabby! My two and 1/2 year old still grabs everything off counters. Drives us bonkers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the look! I wanna walk around on that rug.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out fabulous - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! We have an almost identical one that my mother-in-law found for me at Goodwill. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts