leaning into His promises.


(pictures from our Boston house-hunting trip last week)

Yesterday, I was minutes from posting this, when I hopped on Facebook and saw the news about the Boston bombing. Suddenly, our housing woes seemed trivial as I watched news clips and read about what happened. Last night and this morning, as Boston has been on my heart in more ways than one, I've been leaning into God's promises for us.

Two weeks away from our big move and we're still without a house to move into in Boston. A lot of people have told me that He must have a really amazing house waiting for us. I think that's certainly a possibility, but I don't believe that's how He works. He's not a genie waiting to grant my wishes. Maybe He has plans for us to live in ugly base housing outside of the city. If I believe that His love for us is perfect (which I do), than His plans for us are going to be perfect. But not necessarily how I envision 'perfect'. If I'm being honest with you (which I always try to do here), I selfishly just want his plans to include a sun-filled home, close to a subway stop, with beautiful old doorknobs and three or four bedrooms. 

I'm not sure what His provision in the way of housing will be this summer, but I know He will be faithful to provide. I know that He loves us and cares about my desire for a beautiful home, but He also knows what's best for us. I've found through my life that His provisions come in different forms-- and sometimes they include wading through hardships or disappointments in order to see His goodness on the other side. He doesn't always make sense to me. As I'm reminding myself of His promises, I'm praying that the people affected by yesterday's bombing would be able to see Him and His goodness even through the horror of the week.

A verse that remains true no matter how many times I read it and no matter what situation I am in--

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future..." Jeremiah 29:11

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linds, I can't imagine how stressful it must be to be moving in two weeks not knowing where you will be going. I am so glad that you are so full of faith. He clothes the lilies of the field and feeds the sparrows! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. house hunting ti SO, super stressful. My husband and I had our hearts set on our most recent home...we put 3 different offers in over a course of 7 months...we finally got it in the end but it was difficult to not lose hope in the house hunting process. my husband is a realtor and he's worked with couples who have literally put in over 8 offers only to be beat out by them all...but eventually they find their dream home. Don't lose hope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been in that position twice now. It is so hard and stressful but God has always provided. Not always the perfect house but where we needed to be at the time. Only a few months ago did God provide the perfect house for us and we are so much more grateful because of all the hardships we had to go through to get there. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. maybe your perfect house is in hawaii... ;) just saying..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep. This. I think it's awesome that He always surprises us with what perfect REALLY is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so with you on this. When I'm struggling with something, people say things like, "He must have something really great for you in the near future!" or something like that. The only great thing that He has promised us is HIM. His love, mercy, forgiveness, etc. So if that's what they mean by telling me that, I guess they're right! ;)

    Praying for Boston, AND for you to find a place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is my favorite verse. And it is true. He knows the plans that are for YOU, from him. Not only for you, but for those hurting so badly right now. Sometimes that is a big fancy house, but sometimes it is peace and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVEEEEE this post. SO true. God is NOT a vending machine--He gives us what we need, not always what we want. :) Praying for peace for you while He perfectly provides!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I know how difficult moving with the military can be... We've been in a similar situation here in Georgia. We just moved from Hawaii, spent 10 days in lodging before getting "kicked out," were forced into a house on base, and THEN we were finally able to look for houses off base. So frustrating.

    But like you said, God's plans don't always look like we think they will. Praying you find something soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh heavens, what a good reminder. We've been living with my parents for nearly a year, and at least once a week, I feel like I'm at the end of my rope. So, thanks for the reminder, and good luck with your search! I hope God makes it clear to you, one way or the other. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts