say no to the frump:: 5+ swimsuits that won't make you miss your teeny bikini this summer


A few months ago, I came to the conclusion that a bikini would not be in the cards for me this summer. I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight, but my body is definitely not the same and I'm not about to subject my fellow beach-goers to this jelly-belly. I was determined not to feel frumpy though. Just because I'm chasing my little sand eater (he ate about 7 handfuls at the beach yesterday) instead of sipping mai-tais doesn't mean that I should wear some unflattering piece of Spandex.

And so began my search for an adorable swimsuit that wouldn't break the bank. I started out looking at tankinis, but most of the ones I found were way too loose and flowy. I soon realized that a) I needed to find a one-piece suit, and b) I needed to spend a little bit of cash to get a quality suit. I spent a lot of time searching the internets and was surprised that I couldn't find great, up-to-date roundups of cute suits for mamas and other modest girls out there (Andrea wrote some helpful reviews here.) So, I'm sharing what I found. Click through the links to see more styles and colors.


(clockwise from the left)

Padded Knot Bandeau Tank from JCrew >> This is the swimsuit I bought after two months of searching and I'm so happy with my purchase. Honestly, it makes me feel less like a frumpy mom and more like a classy pin-up. (Is that a weird thing to say on my blog? I just felt really adorable.) The bright red color is so fun and the quality is spot-on. In my opinion, it's money well spent. (See it on me in the photo below!)

Tribal Design Halter One-Piece from Ann Taylor LOFT >> I thought this one was super cute. Even though it doesn't have ruching like so many of the others, I think the fun pattern would do a great job obscuring possible problem areas. Check out more cute LOFT suits here. 

Ruched Bandeau Tank from JCrew >> Another cute one from JCrew. I almost went with this one. Love the ruching and simple silhouette.

Sara Bra Cup Halter Tankini from Athleta >> This was the only tankini that caught my eye. It's got the all-important ruching, padded bra support and comes in this lovely plum shade.

Assets Push-Up One Piece from Target >> Yes, this is a push-up, and it's made by the makers of Spanx. So, you can imagine, this is a one-piece with a bit of 'wow factor'. I tried this on in Target the other day and it's pretty awesome. Honestly, not the most comfortable swimsuit ever, but it does the job--there's not a bit of frump in this suit. See more swimsuits made by Assets here. 


Runner-up-

Criss-Cross Suit from Albion  >> This swimsuit is almost perfect, but it's over $100, so it didn't make my list. The silhouette is adorable and Albion has lots of other styles that are unique!



 Have you found a swimsuit that makes you feel great? Feel free to share details in the comments below!




Comments

  1. You look amazing in that suit! Ad yes, it is totally okay for you to say you feel like a pinup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so 1.) you look amazing 2.) si is the cutest 3.) i'm pretty sure i'm going to buy this jcrew suit. do the sizes run small or big or true to form? thanks in advance! heather.findingbeauty@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) Thank you!! 2) I know, right! and 3) Mine fit true to size! I bought the size I wear in jeans and dresses and it fits pretty perfectly. Now the hard part is choosing a color!

      Delete
  3. Super cute suit! You look great, Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great! I went back to my pre-pregnancy bikini last year, and this year too. I lost A LOT of weight after the baby and I like to show it off a bit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you look awesome!! i got the ruched bandeau tank from jcrew last summer in a green color and love it! my little guy was almost two last summer and i knew i needed a swimsuit that would stay in place and made me feel confident while chasing after a toddler and a bikini just wasn't going to cut it. i'm pregnant this summer so i'm going back to the bikini but i'm looking for something to hide my rear and thighs...bleh! they have always been my trouble zones, especially during pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look amazing! I have a black one and pink one that are similar but have a little bit of skirt at the bottom to cover my upper thighs. I've never bought expensive suits until after having my daughter. No bathing suits for me this Summer since I'm due in July and probably wont even look at a bathing suit until next year! haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great- that color is perfect on you. Thanks for all the suggestions- new Mommies need to feel cute at the pool too! Also- you say that you are back to your pre-baby weight, wondering if you might do a post with suggestions or tips on that at some point?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing!! I am always on the hunt for a good bathing suit to fit my DD upstairs. It is SO hard!! We are moving to south florida, so I'm definitely ok having lots of swim suits!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That suit is SO cute on you!

    I just bought a swimsuit on Modcloth that I can't wait to wear! Unfortunately we still have snow on the ground so I think it'll be a few months before I can wear it, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look great. I immediately went and bought that suit in teal. Let's hope it looks as good on me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look great. I immediately went and bought that suit in teal. Let's hope it looks as good on me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you look rockin in that bathing suit! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the suit you picked! And finding mom-friendly suits does suck...I've been trying for two summers now...I may try one of the J Crew ones because I've had my eye on them for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that suit! I have one very similar to the one you have from Athleta and I bought it from Target. It looks super cute and makes me feel a bit like Marilyn Monroe! As someone who has *never* been able to wear a bikini, I know how hard it is to find cute swimsuits without skirts, weird chest cupping/coverage, snug fitting (its hard to swim when a tankini top catches water!), etc.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Lindsay! You are awesome! I just started a blog because I loved yours sooo much! I literally spent the whole day reading it ;) So obviously since I am new to the blogging world I have do not have a good idea on how to really run one! Any hints or tips would be great :) Here is a link to it if you ever want to check it out and leave a comment :) http://beezeknees.blogspot.com/
    Thanks! Emma

    ReplyDelete
  16. great round up! I have two kids and haven't worn a two piece in over....6 years I suppose. It takes a good bit of hunting but there are cute options!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts