Inspiring Spaces: Ruthanne from EclecticWhatnot!

 I'm so excited to have Ruthanne from Eclectic Whatnot guest posting for me today! This girl is awesome and I've had a blast getting to know her over twitter. (Psst... I also just painted super fun custom painting for her! Can't wait to show it to you!) 



When Lindsay asked me if I would be interested in sharing my studio, I said, "Absolutely!" Then, I walked into my work space and had a moment of hysterical laughing mingled with silent weeping. Ya know what I mean?

Serious, serious disaster zone.

Thankfully, it was just the kick in the pants I needed to get my act together.

My studio doubles as a guest bedroom, so I've had to be open-minded and creative about my set-up and system.


I have a shelving unit for all finished products that are ready-to-ship and just waiting to find a new home.

Instead of throwing out empty spools of thread, I like to keep some and wrap scraps of fabric around them. It adds a burst of character to a somewhat bland room and a smidgen of color and fun.

Last year at Blissdom, I won a door-prize at the (In)Courage Beach Party. I picked out the little wood stand that says, "We believe in Grace and the One who gives it." Sometimes it's nice to look over and see that staring at me in the face.

Especially, when I feel like slamming my machine against the wall or something. Not that I've ever thought about doing that. *averts eyes*


I have another shelving unit for cut fabric waiting to be sewn, a tin for all my receipts and a few odds and ends needed for the sewing machine. I like having a lamp close to the sewing machine for extra light.


The ironing board never gets put away. It just adds to the general splendor of the room. Or something like that.


The table is home to my extra-large cutting mat.

I. Love. This. Mat.

I've been using it for almost eight years now. One of the best purchases I've ever made for my sewing room.

I keep all of my mailing supplies stowed underneath the table ~ envelopes, tape, tissue paper, scissors, ribbon, biz cards, etc.

The guest bed is not only good for sleeping in, but is also a useful spot to keep products waiting to have tags sewn on. I'm all about multi-functionality.


Music provides both motivation and inspiration for me, so I always have iTunes open. It's usually on repeat playing my favorite song. Can ya tell which one? *wink*

Other places you can find moi:

Blog ~ www.eclecticwhatnot.com
Shop ~ www.eclecticwhatnot.bigcartel.com
Twitter ~ www.twitter.com/eclecticwhatnot

Basically, I'm a really hard person to track down on-line.

Comments

  1. awwwwwww i love her space and how incredibly neat it is!! hmmm now which song is her fave?!? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha what a fun interview! love ruthanne's witty personality. and wow, her studio is very organized! and so bright and cheery. wonder if the spare bed ever tempts her into taking a little break from work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, this post just makes me love Ruthanne even more. She's just so dang adorable...and witty. Also, the stack of ready to ship items had me drooling. I think I heard one of them calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely space ruthanne! i desperately need to get a space together so that i can enjoy my little hobby more!

    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. look at you with all your organizing, ruthanne! wanna come back and get my house in gear too?

    what kind of cutting mat is that? is it one of those self healing mats? i need a big one too. i've sliced and diced my table enough already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the space Ruthanne! So beautiful and fun and filled with natural light! and all that ruffly goodness just sitting there all lonely?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i LOVE this workspace! also, i completely agree about the music being so important!!! at work, i put my headphones in and put it on the perfect pandora and just work away in my own calm world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aloha! I love the bright colors of Ruthanne's workspace...makes me want to create a workspace...I can dream :)

    Thinking of you as your hubby is deployed...thank him for his service to our country & keeping my family safe (((hugs)))

    www.southerngirlsecrets.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! Ruthanne always cracks me up. :D And I love that she shares her workspace with the guest bedroom, and still manages to make it all work.

    P.S. Lindsay, I just wanted to thank your husband for his service and you for your sacrifices. You are both loved and appreciated!

    {{hugs!}}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those finished camera straps are so pretty all stacked up!

    Love Ruthanne! And love this space.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lindsay! Love your place here. And I love seeing Ruthanne's sewing space.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that ruthanne...her personality jumps out of my computer screen when i read her blog. love seeing her work space! and...that husband of your's...VERY COOL DUDE. sending you thoughts of peace and love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. love Ruthanne, thanks for sharing her today! Thank you, also, to you and your husband for your dedication to our country!! Now, I'm off to scope out your site! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like Ruthanne's space! It's so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that space makes me happy. It's so cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the space! ;)

    And Lindsay! - can't wait to see this painting! You are very talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute. Can't wait to see your artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ruthanne, loved your sharing of your workspace complete with your sense of humor *snort*! You inspire me to get even more organized. I think I need bins!!

    Lindsay, hang in there girl. My hubby was in the air force. I remember how hard the day and week was when he would leave on a TDY. Then my friends would scoop me up, have me for dinner, go shopping, I'd exercise like crazy and just try to fill up the empty time and space. It was always such a fun and happy reunion when he would return. Like we were newlyweds all over again. Thinking and praying for you this week and hoping good friends will come to the rescue!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ruthanne your space is so happy! thanks for sharing!

    thinking of you & praying for you lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ruthanne is a sweetie, such a nice space.

    Lindsay, your blog is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great piece of work. Go on to keep publishing posts!

    ReplyDelete
  22. cute, cute site. ruthanne was raving about you at blissdom. i can see why.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I big puffy {heart} Ruthanne! Thanks for showing us her space! And I'm loving your adorable blog and shop! Thank you so much for serving our country as a military wife! As a military brat I know first hand what a family sacrifices along with their soldier and I am indebted to you. Praying for you and your soldier! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the space, I love Ruthanne, and I also love your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. hilarious closing :) love it and love your shipping dept. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. So fun! I'd work in Ruthanne's shipping department any day! :) I love seeing her happy little work space.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Have to tell you (again) how much I love my camera strap. We are in the midst of SNOWPOCALYPSE 2011 here in the Chicago burbs and I (of course) had to document everything in pictures. My black minky-dot fabric against my neck felt so comforting while taking pics of the 18+ inches of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a lovely space you have here and a great guest post from my buddy, Ruthanne! I think it would be the ultimate luxury to have a space where the ironing board could just stay out, but maybe this just shows I need a little more luxury in my life). ;)

    Custom paintings - oh, my!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great space Ruthanne! I've been inspired by some of your organizational ideas =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts