a hike in hawaii.

These are a few pictures I snapped during our sunrise hike on the first day of the year. It was almost our last day on Oahu, and this was one of the things that I most desperately wanted to cross our list. It's not the most challenging hike, and it's often crowded with running enthusiastics, tourists, and yappy dogs. But I hiked it many times over our time living there, and it is special to me. I hiked it first with a new group of friends-- the same group of friends who became our dear family over the three years we lived on the island. I hiked it while 20 weeks pregnant with Silas, and huff and puffed my way up the steep incline. And I distinctly remember hiking this path right before we left, my heart welling with all kinds of emotions-- thankful for the chance we had to call this place home.


Getting to climb Lanikai with Silas was all I hoped it would be. Chris carried him in the Ergo for the first (steep) portion, but after that, Silas was intent on doing it himself. Watching his little sneakers navigate the rocks so carefully, as he gripped his daddy's hands tight, was enough to just about burst my heart. I'm such a sappy mom, getting all sentimental over a hike. But watching my little baby act like a big adventurous boy gave me a little glimpse into all the fun we get to have with him. Many adventures await, little dude.

Comments

  1. So sweet! And gorgeous pictures! Thanks for sharing a glimpse of such a beautiful place (and story!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, this was one of my favorite hikes... did u leave your initials in one of the many pine trees?

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks beautiful! precious photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of my favorite hikes. We're starting to get lots of visitors from the cold mainland and I'm going to make all of them do this trail. So awesome. Glad you guys had a great visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those little shoes! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your photos with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soak up all those moments sappy momma! This post made me so excited for my little one to arrive this summer, just thinking about seeing the world through their eyes is the thing I look forward to most.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would do anything to be there right now! It looks beautiful! The weather here is cold and getting very old.

    Oh and those Converse on little Silas, adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How special to do this hike with your little man!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts