standing for life (let's break the silence and jump in.)



As a little girl, I spent countless hours inside the walls of my local crisis pregnancy clinic. Not the most conventional place for a kid to hang out, but my mom was the director of one (now three!) in Maryland, and I loved spending time there. I spent my sick days on the couches where women were counseled and prayed for on other days of the week, I played with the tiny plastic models that showed how a fetus grows-- even the tiny 13 week model which fit perfectly inside my little palm had itty-bitty baby features. I stole candy from the receptionist's desk and flipped through magazines in the waiting room. But more than all that, I grew up hearing of the tough decisions that so many women have to make when they are faced with an unexpected pregnancy, and listening to the joy in my mom's voice when some un-named client decided to choose life for her unborn baby. At a young age, I knew the horrors of abortion, and the developmental milestones for babies in the womb. Deep in my heart, a fierce love for the unborn imbedded itself. 

So, as each new video has appeared on my screen this summer, detailing another horrific aspect of Planned Parenthood's deception of women and profiting from selling baby parts, I've felt more and more helpless and horrified. I've been surprised at the silence around this issue on my Instagram and Twitter feed, and felt scared into silence myself. I realize that not everyone who follows or reads along with me shares my beliefs and I guess I was worried about offending or saying the wrong thing. 

I think it's easy to say that if you haven't been in xyz situation, than you don't have a right to speak to it. Truth be told, I haven't had an unplanned pregnancy or faced raising a child in a single parent home. But why should this keep me from raising my voice, speaking out against the murder of innocent lives, and advocating for better resources for pregnant women in need? Women deserve to have better resources than abortion. Unborn children deserve better than to have their lives ripped away from them and their body parts sold for profit. And so, I decided to break the silence on my own Instagram feed, and use the most powerful weapon I know to use. 

Each day this week, I've been praying for a different aspect of this abortion and life issue. I've been posting prompts over on my Instagram feed, inviting others to join with me in prayer for men and women hurting from abortion, for abortion workers, for our government officials. I've lost several hundred followers, but mainly, I've been greeted with a hunger from the women in my Instagram community who are ready to pray, to speak out, to do something about the atrocities that are occurring in our nation. Maybe you are one of those men or women who are ready to get involved. 

Today, I'm inviting you to pray with me about how you might jump in. God might be calling you to open your home to foster or adoption, or He may want you to start small and set aside a monthly donation to your local pregnancy clinic. I've listed some links below to help kickstart some ideas for you. Get creative, do some research, and find out where God is calling you. 

Donate to your local pregnancy clinic.  Just a little over $1 can help provide free prenatal vitamins for a woman who has chosen life, and $300 can provide a life-altering ultrasound to a woman feeling pressure to abort. 

Volunteer at a crisis pregnancy clinic.   Take a free training class to become a counselor, or if you're a nurse, you can donate your time to provide free STD testing, pregnancy tests and sonograms to abortion-minded women. Or even do something as simple as spending some time in the office helping fold brochures and praying over the work that is being done there. 

Donate to And Then There Were None, a ministry that provides counseling and resources to abortion workers wishing to leave the industry and heal. 

Love on and support young pregnant mamas through a ministry like Embrace Grace.

Pray and fast with 40 Days for Life or join a vigil this fall. 


"He has told you, O man, what is good: And what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8












Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing your heart this week. This is a topic that has been heavy on my heart lately too. Thank you for stepping out and speaking truth and giving us ways to pray and take action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://lessermagistrate.com/
    abolishhumanabortion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the links. Will check them out this weekend!

      Delete
  3. Different strokes makes the world go 'round, but when you start telling me what I should do with my body...well, all I can say is, "How dare you?" How dare you presume to understand what goes through anyone's mind but your own. Don't believe in abortion? Don't get one. I'm too kind to tell you what I think of your mom's vocation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karin, this issue is far bigger than "don't believe in abortion, don't get one". To stand silently while THOUSANDS of unborn children are murdered each day is out of the question for me. An unborn child, a fetus, has its' own DNA, it's own blood type, it's own heartbeat, it's own tiny fingers and toes, it's own nerve endings that register pain. Years ago, before we knew these things, perhaps the argument that it's only a clump of cells, or that it's "my body" may have worked, but with all the scientific evidence that we have today, it's absurd to continue with that line of thinking.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for speaking up! I too have been shocked by the silence on my IG//Blog feeds! My Hubby and I support Rachel House--our local crisis pregnancy center. I'm a long time follower and am just so glad to see this being put out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. High five to you for speaking out for those who can't! I volunteered doing office work at our local crisis pregnancy center during high school and hope to return someday soon. It's a meaningful and much needed resource within communities, to provide a variety of resources to women who find themselves in difficult situations. Love your heart, thanks for sharing! And don't let the naysayers sway you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gretchen! Yes, the work these crisis pregnancy centers do is so vital. Not just counseling, but real support and resources. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
    2. thank you for speaking up! I am a mom to 2 children whose birthmoms did the tough thing but the right thing......they chose life for their baby. Thank you to all you birthmothers out there who may be reading this!! I hope I get to hug you all in heaven one day.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this post! I totally agree. There are few things I'm as vocal about as this issue. Praying for abortion and life issues on an almost daily basis. It's so frustrating to feel so helpless! I need to start volunteering for our local 'Pregnancy Decision Healthcare Center' again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen and amen! Thank you for boldly speaking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not agree with you, although I do respect your right to have your own opinion. Which is why I believe that you should respect other womens' right to make their own choices. It's not up to you to choose what someone else does with their life. You can only live your life the way you choose to and leave everyone else in God's hands. Isn't that what you should be praying for?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I work with a nonprofit based in MN that you might be interested in. It's called Cradle of Hope, and their mission is to provide financial support for women who have chosen life for their babies despite the struggles they have in their lives. Here is a link if you want to check it out! http://www.cradleofhope.org

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great post! So happy to see people standing up for what they believe in. I think that is a great to pray about specific things about abortion each day. Also, I am definitely going to join your call to action and do something to support this cause. The way you worded this was great because you weren't just discussing the situation, you gave people a way to support this cause!! Gave me some inspiration for a post I have been working on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post. Really you have mentioned some great points with usPTSD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts