my hospital bag essentials for labor and delivery



About two weeks before I went into labor, I started researching, Googling and Pinterest-ing what other women generally pack for their labor and delivery hospital stay. I found a lot of ridiculous suggestions and some very helpful ones too. I even asked you guys in this post for your input and got some really great ideas. 

I took all that info and came up with what I thought would be most helpful for me to pack. Today I thought I'd share what I packed as well as what we used and we didn't use. 

The bag::

 I used my luckycann bag which is also our new diaper bag. It worked perfectly as a hospital bag-- so many pockets and space. I'll do a more thorough review on this in a later post, but I would definitely say you don't need to go out and buy a special bag for the hospital stay. Any duffel or overnight bag will do-- especially since it will probably be hanging out on the hospital floor at some point. 

Clothing::

 I bought a comfy new robe at Target and I used it in the very beginning, when we walked around in the hallways for a bit to try to get things going. I wore it after delivery, in our postpartum room as well. I packed some comfy tanks, sleeper nursing bras and stretchy black gaucho pants. The gaucho pants are super old (from my college days!), so I wasn't worried if blood happened to get on them after delivery. I stayed in the hospital gown from the time I was admitted until the morning after I delivered Silas. 

I also packed some big granny panties, which I didn't really use because the mesh undies from the hospital were way more comfy on my C-section incision. (I didn't pack pads either, but ended up asking my mom to bring over the ones I'd bought for home. I wasn't a fan of the hospital pads!) Socks and slippers got thrown in the bag too. I didn't use the socks, but the slippers worked great post-partum for walking around on the nasty hospital floors. 

Toiletries::

 I packed toiletries as if I would be staying overnight a night or two. This worked out well because I did end up being in the hospital for 3 nights. My contacts stayed in throughout labor and I didn't have a problem with them drying out (or at least, I didn't notice!) I changed into my glasses once we got to the post-partum room. One thing I'm glad I did was pack some special yummy-smelling shampoo as treat for after labor. The first shower I took wasn't really great since I was in so much pain and totally out of it, but the second shower-- that was lovely. The lanolin I packed didn't get used until I was home for a few days. 

For the baby:: 

Silas stayed in the wrap-style hospital tees the whole time, which I had planned on. We brought a going home outfit for him (and an extra 0-3month onesie just in case since we knew he'd be big!) He wore the hat that we brought from home the whole time we were there. It was also good to have our own baby blanket for a little personal touch in our photos. Some people said that their nurses looked down on them for not bringing baby things from home, but we didn't have any sort of experience like that. We didn't pack a single diaper or wipe and didn't need to either. 

Snacks:: 

I brought snacks, thinking Chris might need some sustenance during labor and I'd want some treats afterwards. We didn't eat any of them during labor, but snacked on the Raisinets during post-partum recovery. The Clif bars ended up being great when I needed something in my stomach in the middle of the night to take my pain medications. We didn't even open the Lifesaver mints. Thankfully our hospital food was delicious, so we didn't starve. ;)

Electronics (not pictured)::

We brought the laptop, our phones and my DSLR camera also, as well as the chargers for all of those. We used the laptop post-partum for blogging and Facebook updating and obviously my DSLR was used throughout for photos. I brought my 50mm lens as well as my 18-55mm. Since I wasn't sure how big the rooms would be, I didn't know if the fixed zoom of the 50mm would work. Thankfully, the 18-55mm was perfect in the tiny operating room for taking photos during my C-section. 

I think that's about it. I actually really loved our hospital stay and am so glad that I didn't overpack and felt just the right amount of prepared. Hope this is helpful if you're preparing for your own labor and delivery! 




Comments

  1. This comes at the perfect time. I started searching this last night after our hospital tour.

    If you don't mind me asking, what size nursing bras did you buy? I super little on top, but wasn't sure how much bigger I should expect getting (or plan for). Thanks Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Laura! Hope it was helpful for you!

      Great question-- I was wondering that myself when packing. I'm pretty small on top as well and went with a medium. I only bought the sleeper stretchy sports-bra style bras for the hospital and once my milk came in, went out and bought the right size in regular nursing bras. I would definitely recommend waiting until your milk comes in to spend money on nicer nursing bras, but buy maybe one or two sleeper bras for the hospital.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant. This is a great list to come to when it is my time... not there yet though ;) Love your diaper bag! So much better than Winny the Pooh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lindsay,
    I love the chevron baby blanket! Where did you find it?
    Thanks,
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica,

      Do you mean the chevron rug or the chevron baby blanket from my IG pics? The rug is from Urban Outfitters and the blanket is from Erika at Stitched Simplicity. You can find her shop's link on my sidebar. :)

      Delete
  4. i may or may not have a tube of that lanolin in your care package that's still sitting on our table haha i thought it was funny :) do you still use it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading about your hospital bag, even though I am no where near needing it. Happy to hear you had a good hospital stay! Your baby boy is BEAUTIFUL! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for posting this! I've been waiting with baited breath since little Silas arrived to see what was in your hospital bag. :-) I technically have 2.5 weeks left but we're now in the "any day" territory so I was grateful to be able to cross check your list with what I have sitting in the corner of our bedroom! PS - I absolutely LOVE your diaper bag! That's the primary color of our nursery waiting for the little lady (with lots of pinks and green and purple and yellow mixed in!) and I think you inspired me to finally buy a diaper bag. I hope it's ok if there's someone walking around Virginia Beach with the exact same bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it was a helpful post for you! And yeah girl, get that bag-- I love it!

      Delete
  7. Good call on the robe! Looks like you packed the perfect amount. What are the hospital wrap shirts for baby? They never offered us those, and I have no idea what you're talking about. We also didn't have wi-fi at our (Navy) hospital, so you're lucky. That bag is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shirts are just long sleeve tee-shirts (versus the onesies that snap at the crotch) that have snaps on the sides. They wrap around kind of like a kimono (?).

      Delete
  8. I am definitely bookmarking this for the future (I am only 15 weeks along), thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's super helpful to know what you thought you needed but didn't, and if there was anything you wish you had (obviously, you rocked that!) Thanks for listing this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A GREAT hospital bag!!! I always tend to overpack for the hospital. You'd think I'd have it down by now...but I'm sure I'll overpack again this time ;) Can't wait to hear more about how you are liking your bag!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you started a trend with the Luckycann ASTER bag - I just got mine in the mail today (I ended up going with a dark grey because I didn't want to be TOO creepy and copy you exactly :-D) and when I went to leave feedback on the excellent store, I saw a whole influx of recent ASTER purchases as diaper bags!

    PS - I ordered one of your cuties last year which is now gracing the shelves of my nursery. Can't wait until your shop opens for business again!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts