Inspire Me Monday: Maps on the Wall

Chris and I both love to travel. We've both done missions overseas (Romania, Croatia), studied abroad (Fiji, Spain) and I lived and worked with street kids in Mexico for 6 months. We've also had our share of adventures in places like Sicily, Japan and Palau.

We love the idea of giant maps encompassing entire walls. When it's done right, it looks more like world-traveler chic and less like classroom teaching tools slapped on the wall.

I love the colors of the wall map on this one. I also reeeeally want those acrylic chairs. 


I'm not normally one for red walls, but the slanted wall space is used so smartly with that map wallpaper and the room feels so warm and cozy. 



Of course, Kate over at Centsational Girl always has amazing designs. Her family/game room is no exception. 



You can't see the whole map here but I love the yellows and greens and that pom-pom pillow is adorable. 



I think this next one is my favorite. This room is that perfect juxtaposition between clean and modern lines (in the lamp, couch and blue chairs) and traveled eclectic (in the map, bottles and pillows)



And you can always look to Etsy for the solution. This screen printed map could be the perfect solution for renters who want that same look without the commitment of wallpaper or paint.  





Would you do it? Have you done it? Do you love it? Do you hate it?




Comments

  1. Drew and I have thought a lot about a map on the wall since our job will be to travel the world and visit Mks. It might be good to know geography a little more then we do right now! Great post Linds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan! I just don't have any more room in our little house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The red room is my favorite! I would definitely do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy I found your blog! My husband (also in the military) and I also lived in Hawaii. I miss it SO much! We're now in California. I absolutely love maps on the walls. We don't have a space big enough for a massive map, but I hung smaller maps of Hawaii, Massachusetts (our home state), and now California to chart all the places we've visited in our three "homes." One day in the right space I'd absolutely looove to do something like the first picture.

    Anyway, love your blog! I hope you are enjoying Hawaii as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. totally love maps on the wall. bigtime. i'm doin it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! The Censational Girl version is my favorite! What a great idea she had to DIY the frame. So easy!

    We are waiting for new housing on base, so this is definitely going in my decor inspiration folder!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts