what we're eating: taco soup!

When I mentioned that I wanted to start blogging again, I had a lot of messages on Instagram asking me to share recipes! Chris and I love cooking together, we love eating, and we love trying new foods. I've shared lots of recipes in the past on my blog, and in fact, they are some of my most popular posts. And it's been two years since I've shared our recipes on the blog, so we've got lots to catch up on!

When I first started cooking with Chris ten years ago, I was very much a to-the-T, follow the recipe kind of gal. But I've loosened up significantly over the years, and rarely measure, unless I'm baking. So, I'll do my best to share measurements with you in my recipes, but also feel the freedom to add more or less of something based on your tastes or how it's looking to you.

First up, taco souppppp! I guess it's kind of a hybrid of a soup and a chili, but we call it taco soup in our house, so there ya go. Hot and hearty, with a good dollop of sour cream and melty cheddar cheese stirred in, I wouldn't say this is a particularly healthy recipe. BUT it has green chilis, tomatoes, beans and corn in it, which is more variety than I would have ever eaten as teenager Lindsay.






Taco Soup!

1 lb. of ground beef or turkey
1 packet of taco seasoning, or 2 TBSP homemade taco seasoning
1 6 oz can of green chilis 
1 12 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes 
1 6 oz can of tomato sauce
1 qt of chicken broth
1 15 oz of drained black beans
2 cups of sweet corn (canned, frozen or fresh works!)


Instructions:

In a large pot, brown ground beef. Drain any fat. 

Add taco seasoning. 

In a blender, puree the can of green chilis with 1/2 cup of the chicken broth. Add to the pot. 

In a blender, puree the can of fire roasted tomatoes with 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Add to the pot. 

Add the tomato sauce to the pot. 

Add chicken broth, black beans, and corn. 

Bring to a boil for 5 minutes, then simmer for 2-3 hours, or until desired thickness. 

Skim any fat/foam from the top before serving. 

Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, and tortilla chips. 

Notes: 

Feel free to leave the fire-roasted tomatoes *un-pureed*. We just aren't big on tomato chunks, so that's how we do it. 

The green chilis are not spicy, but they add a great flavor. Don't skip those! 

If you'd like more of a soup texture than a thick chili, just add more chicken broth, and don't simmer it quite so long. 

Greek yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream! 








Comments

Popular Posts