Unfinished Paintings

I've been going through some real discouragement with my two painting classes I am taking this winter. I had expectations that while Chris was gone, I would spend most of my time painting, that I would love it and that I'd be learning so much and creativity would just bubble out of me like a drool from a baby. 


Nope.


I'll spare you the gritty details but pretty much, I'm not enjoying it most of the time and I'm questioning the notion that I was ever a good painter in the first place. This is a combination of disliking my teachers, comparing myself to other artists in the classes, not liking much of what I paint and much more. I've been praying alot about it and hoping that if I don't learn anything in the classes themselves, I at least get the lesson that God wants me to learn from this frustrating situation (perhaps...pride goes before the fall??).

With that said, I'd like to share a few sneak peeks at the paintings I've been working on. Some of these are paintings I loathe and some I love. Some are just small parts of the whole painting and others are the entire painting. Honestly, it's hard for me to put these up here (especially because they are not finished and in different stages) but I do want to share with everyone what I've been up to the past few weeks.





Please pray for me as I struggle through this. There's a lot more to it than I'm sharing right now and I wish that my husband was here to bounce ideas off of, pray with me and encourage me. (He's doing a good job through email... but it's not quite the same!)

Comments

  1. Aww Lindsay I enjoy reading your blog. My prayers are with you during this difficult time and I want to thank you and your husband for all of the sacrifices you willingly make for this country. You are very brave, strong woman, and I admire that.

    And your paintings are just stunning. I especially love the girl on the swing. Do not doubt yourself, I think you are EXTREMELY talented, and I know that you are discouraged, but your artwork is very beautiful, but also very mysterious and provacative. Thank you for putting yourself out there like that. And know that people you don't even know that well are praying for you and Chris!! =)

    -Corinne Fitzgerald

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the woman on the swing in the red dress-- you have beautiful talent, please don't doubt that! thank you for sharing your work, and your life! It is always very encouraging!
    -- kate sweetland-lambird

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsay...you are VERY talented...don't ever doubt that. Also, don't compare yourself to the other artists...that will do nothing but bring you down. Art is such a wonderful expression of emotion and the heart. So it makes sense that if you are struggling in your emotions...you might feel a struggle to paint as well.

    So keep painting and keep fighting those bad feelings with prayer! And thanks for sharing both your thoughts and your beautiful work! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously? These are stunning... truly stunning. I wish I had half as much talent. I agree with Sarah that it makes sense to me that while your struggling during this time with Chris gone, it would manifest itself in your painting as well. But don't stop. God has given you a gift. I suggest you keep painting, but pain b/c you want to not b/c you have to. Paint what you feel, not what you think you should feel or what you want to feel. And paint for you, for Chris, for God, but not for your teachers or your classmates.

    I love your blog and your openness and honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do agree that Chris being gone probably has something to do with my lack of inspiration and motivation to paint. Thanks for the encouragement and prayers. I appreciate you all taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts with me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts