The Yellow Table

Last Thursday, I dropped Chris off for a 10-day underway and when I got into the neighborhood, I saw a coffee table sitting on the side of the road. It was kind of beat-up, with child-proof latches on the drawers and dog scratches on the legs. I saw a blank canvas and got excited. Unfortunately, try as I might, I couldn't get the heavy table into my car. I was crushed.

Fast forward 15 minutes and after some Facebook encouragement from a fellow Navy wife, I threw some old quilts onto the back seat and sped back there, praying all 3 blocks that it still be there. 

There it sat, begging for a fresh coat of paint and loving owners. 

After 20 minutes of huffing and puffing, about 10 unhelpful neighbors had driven by and I finally got the table into my backseat! I can't describe how triumphant I felt! 

So, I'd like to share its transformation from worn-out veteran of children's sticky fingers and bored little doggies to a beautiful sun-shiney entryway bench for a cute pair of newlyweds. 




     First,  I removed the hardware (one very loose knob!), pried the safety latches off and took out the drawers. 

Then I sanded the whole thing down. That helped a lot with the scratches. 


Next, I sprayed a coat of primer all over. The primer filled in the rest of the scratches. 

After a second trip to Home Depot to get the perfect yellow, I applied two thin coats of Behr Sunburst. 

 Bought some pretty hardware for the drawers. 

Here she is in her new home, our entryway! 


And here's a close-up of the wall decor. See my friend, the elephant? 


I can't wait to show Chris when he gets home this weekend. Usually we come in the laundry room door, but the past few days, I've been coming in our main door. It's much nicer to be greeted by a joyful elephant and bursts of color rather than piles laundry! 

Any do-it-yourself projects in your future? Do tell!

Comments

  1. I am so incredibly impressed by this! wow. In fact, I now see the free section of craigslist in a whole new light! Fantastically done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You really are an artist. I am totally amazed when people can look at junk and see the beauty it can hold when repurposed. Looks like you did a great job with your first deployment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Basically...I love this...I'm going to copy everything you do to your house. No. I'm serious. Keep up the good work Lindsay. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your encouraging words, ladies. I am so thankful that God is giving me the time, space and opportunities to do the things I love to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this makes me wish we knew each other, didn't live states away, and could hang out while making things new! what a great project. i think that everybody needs a good project for each deployment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, GREAT find! You lucked out by having that beauty still sitting on the sidewalk when you returned. I love the yellow! Super creative to turn a coffee table into a bench. You've got me thinking ... because I'm on the hunt for a bench. Looks like I'm looking for the wrong thing! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts