Notes From My Creative Estates Notebook

Oh. Boy.

I'm not even sure how to start sharing all that I learned over the weekend at Creative Estates. I came home feeling refreshed and ready to hit the ground running with my blog and biz.


Throughout the weekend, there were several panels of beautiful, creative, and successful women who shared their tips, passions and wisdom with the rest of us. The panel that hit me with an explosion of inspiration and empowerment was the "Happy Chaos" panel, where Becki Crosby from Whippy Cake, Becky Higgins from Becky Higgins LLC, Megan Pyrah from Brassy Apple and Melanie Thornton from Above All Fabric spoke about their experience in struggling and learning how to balance their businesses with life.



Here are a few nuggets I gleaned from that panel.

-- Have a realistic competitive spirit. Don't measure your success by what others are doing, but against your own goals and aspirations. It's so easy to look at other people's numbers, sales, followers, successes but we are all so different that it's dumb to compare. Everyone started with one follower, one sale.

--Celebrate the seemingly minor goals and give yourself rewards to stay motivated! Uh, you know I'm all about celebrating, so this was a great reminder that it's okay to be excited about reaching 100 sales (I'm 4 away, woot!) and other such milestones!

-- If you are not truly passionate about what you are doing, you should probably STOP. This point made me smile. It's so true that if you are not passionate about your blog/biz, that it won't be long before you burn out. I'm happy to declare that I am passionate about painting, all things handmade, and blogging. It's so exciting for me to make happy, colorful artwork for people's homes. So, I'm not stopping anytime soon. ;) Whew, breathe a sigh of relief.



--Own the craziness, and learn how to manage your time. Find out what works for you. I loved how Becki from Whippy Cake admitted to having a creatively disorganized personality. That's SO me! I'm not type A, but rather something closer to type Z. And yet, she has an incredibly successful business because she has found what works for her.  That is so inspiring to me. (Not to mention, she is absolutely hilarious, sweet and gave us a ride to dinner in her car when it was pouring rain!)



More than ever, I am proud to be a part of this community of real, beautiful women that are bursting with creativity, inspiration and passion. My heart is full after this weekend. 

Did you go to #creativeestates (as we say on twitter)?? What stuck in that creative brain of yours? And if you didn't have the chance to go, make sure you get there next year, when it's held in Salt Lake City, Utah! 

PS. Once again, all of these pictures are courtesy of the one and only Sandyalamode. I was just the model all weekend. But I get to get behind the camera now, since I'm going to pick up my brand new DSLR camera this morning!


Comments

  1. Another great post!

    P.S. Still digging your bicycle print...someday when I have a new house :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for posting this -- i loved reading your tweets all weekend & wrote a ton down {from twitter and this post} that really spoke to me as well.

    i guess you could say i "attended" through you & the other girls sharing? can't wait to make it next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you ladies had so much fun - I'm jealous! Definitely would like to go next year, but I still feel like I learned a bit from everyone's tweets and blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post! Thanks for sharing your notes! Icant wait to see your business grow as you apply these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "creatively disorganized" - love that! Some things I can be extremely Type A about...but if you saw my creative/sewing space, you'd never believe it. Glad I'm not the only one!

    So wish I could have been there, but I'm so enjoying hearing what you all have learned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing what you learned & i love the photos! i'm pretty inspired since i'm planning to open a handmade shop this summer!
    p.s. i wish headbands would stay on my head...maybe i need to try wearing it like you :) so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the tips love!!! I heart all these photos and hearing about the conference!!! love ya!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. how wonderful. I keep reading all of these amazing inspiring post from everyone who went to Creative Estates. It is great to hear that though it's hard to believe, that everyone who is successful started somewhere. Great photo's hope to be there next year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved reading your tweets with some quotes from the weekend and I'm glad it was so fun! Congrats on the DSLR, you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. woohoo!!!!!!!!!! loved this :) that last picture never ceases to make me laugh :)

    miss you, bed-buddy!

    *quack, quack, quack*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for sharing, it was fun to see your tweets over the weekend and to learn a thing or two myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. very inspiring! sounds like such a great weekend! i have been following Becki from Whippy Cake for a while and she always cracks me up and inspires me - so awesome ya'll got to meet!

    have a fabulous Tuesday, girl. Yayy for new cameras!!

    Jac

    jacmaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am loving reading all these wonderful creative estates posts!! So sad it's over... but it was so wonderful seeing you in PERSON! Can't wait to see the outfit/paintbrush pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. YAY for DSLR cameras, you'll love yours. I love mine!!
    Glad you had such a great time. Looks like you took a lot away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like you had a blast!! There is nothing like spending quality time with girlfriends, so glad you had fun and learned a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like competing with myself and not others. I can get pretty down on myself when I see someone come up with an idea that I feel I was just on the verge of discovering . . . but really I just need to focus on what *I* like, can do and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. loved seeing all of the pics from sandy and ilene's blog. you girls looked like you had a blast of a time. i do hope to try and make it next year...however, i hear it's in utah??? was hoping it would be in your neck of the woods....: )

    oh, and how exciting that you're gonna pick up your DSLR camera!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have so many notes I need to sort through! Love that last photo: keep it real girls =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I found your blog on twitter and became a follower! :) Love your blog! Erin

    www.healthybranscoms.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like everyone had a blast! Thanks for sharing what you learned - I'm hoping to go next year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Will you be going to Creative Estates Retreat this year??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts