An Artist or not?

Once in a while, when someone introduces me, they say "This is Lindsay, she's an artist". And I get all flattered and people get all curious and ask me questions (or say, "oh, nice" and really they don't give two hoots). 

The worst is when I get into conversation with someone, tell them that I sketch and paint and find out that they are a real arteest! They went to some trendy school and paint huge, meaningful artwork and their inspiration is some guy who lived in the 15th century and had severe mental issues. 

But honestly, I doubt my status as a bona fide artist. 

(The potential of a blank canvas makes me tingle with joy)

So,  here's the question, at what point does a person call oneself an artist? I mean, yes, I "do" art. I love painting and sketching and being creative in all sorts of ways. God has given me creative talents and it gives me real joy to use those talents. And I do think that my art is pretty awesome (most of the time).

But in order to be considered an artist, shouldn't I be moody (ok, Chris might say that some days I fit this criteria), and shouldn't my paintings have underlying messages about life and death and joy and sorrow? Or is it okay that my sketches are of whatever is sitting in front of me  (water bottle, homeless man, 16th century Spanish architecture...) and my paintings are not for emotional effect but merely visual?



When does a person move from being someone who paints and draws to an artist? Do you consider yourself an artist?

**Edit** I wanted to add that there are artists I greatly admire (my grandmother, Chris' grandmother, several amazing friends) and who are great inspirations to me. So, obviously not all artists are moody and mentally unstable, that's just the stereotype that comes to mind when I start thinking about whether I am one or not. 


(I'm not fishing for compliments here, people. I really want to know what you think!)



[ on the homefront today--painting! (duh) and spending the week alone as Chris is gone 'til Thursday]

Comments

  1. I think that the fact that a blank canvas makes you, "tingle with joy" proves you are an artist, b/c us non artistic types would find a blank canvas overwhelming and frightening!

    I didn't know you were an artist! I love reading your blog and learning more about you! Hope you can find fun things to pass the time till your man is home again! Thanks for the sacrifices you both are making for our nation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Tà áo trắng tung bay trong gió.

      Tuyết ghen hờn chao đảo giữa trời không.

      Suối tóc xanh phất phơ trong gió.

      Phảng phất mùi hương, mê mẩn cả tâm hồn.

      Khoảng khắc khi thi thể xuất hiện, đại trưởng lão của Thi Âm Tông cũng không khỏi giương mắt lên nhìn chằm chằm. Ngay cả một câu chê cười cũng không có, chỉ có sự kinh hãi vì vẻ đẹp của nàng.
      Hồng Điệp đúng là rất xinh đẹp, nhưng nếu đem so với thi thể người con gái, thì chẳng khác gì đốm lửa với ánh mặt trời.
      mu private cho thuê nhà trọ nhạc sàn cực mạnh tư vấn pháp luật qua điện thoại công ty luật số điện thoại tư vấn pháp luật dịch vụ thành lập công ty
      Vương Lâm đang ở trong lòng tuyết, chỉ dám liếc mắt nhìn qua, sau đó trong lòng cũng không kìm được phải run lên, giống như có một thứ ma lực vô tận hấp dẫn vậy. Nó khiến hắn nổi lên ý niệm muốn cướp cái thi thể đó.

      Nhưng tư tưởng của hắn cực kỳ kiên định. Ý niệm này vừa mới nổi lên đã bị hắn mạnh mẽ bóp chết. Mặc dù vậy thì mồ hôi lạnh cũng đổ ra khắp người.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this post, because I even have an art education degree and I have a hard time when people call me an artist! I feel like I dont fit the description of a typical artist, or art teacher at that....and my students crack me up when they say, "Wow Mrs B you are a REAL artist!"...I'm like...umm..not really. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't know... i, for one, LOVED being called a ballet dancer, and i miss it, if i'm being honest. is it your passion? your calling? whether or not it is your job, is it your primary occupation? those are the questions that i think define an artist. except that i don't think questions can be definitions. so i give up. =P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

hello you! Thanks for taking a minute to comment! I like to reply to your comments in the thread, so if you have a question and you'd like to get a notification of my response, feel free to click the "subscribe by email" link.

Popular Posts